Premed 101 Forums

Difference Between Entry-Level Pharmd And Pharmd?

purfekt

Any information would be greatly appreciated on this matter.

UBC is replacing the BSc Pharm program with the Entry Level PharmD program for the 2015 intake. What is the different between the Entry-Level PharmD (ELPD) and what the CPhA considers a PharmD designation?

In addition what will be required to transition from the ELPD and PharmD?

How does our PharmD designation compare to the US, will there be essentially no difference? And what would it mean for our ELPD designation when compared to the US' PharmD designation?

Thanks for your responses!

Hi Purfekt,

I can give you U of T's run down of what it means. In their eyes (and this varies between provinces probably), Entry Level PharmD is equivalent to the Post-Bacc PharmD. What does this mean compared to the US? Same thing. A PharmD is a PharmD. As for "official designation" ELPD = Post-Bacc and having a PharmD entry versus Post-Bacc makes no difference. 

Reality Check Time: Assuming Entry Level PharmD is actually equivalent in experience to a Post-Bacc PharmD is laughable, and whether or not employers will recognize that depends on the employer. 

You cannot transition from ELPD to PharmD because they are one and the same in the profession's eyes. 

Hope this helps.

Hi Purfekt,

I can give you U of T's run down of what it means. In their eyes (and this varies between provinces probably), Entry Level PharmD is equivalent to the Post-Bacc PharmD. What does this mean compared to the US? Same thing. A PharmD is a PharmD. As for "official designation" ELPD = Post-Bacc and having a PharmD entry versus Post-Bacc makes no difference. 

Reality Check Time: Assuming Entry Level PharmD is actually equivalent in experience to a Post-Bacc PharmD is laughable, and whether or not employers will recognize that depends on the employer. 

You cannot transition from ELPD to PharmD because they are one and the same in the profession's eyes. 

Hope this helps.

Exactly my thoughts.

Archived