Premed 101 Forums

coop/employment on OMSAS application

Guest AG3

Hi,

I had two questions about the omsas application. I hope someone can answer them for me.

I had a co-op job in my last year of highschool. It was for school credits and I didn't get paid so I'm wondering if I should include this an employment or as a volunteer experience?

Also, if you helped with research, but didn't exactly contribute to a publication, can you still include that work experience under the research category?

Guest aneliz

1. Co-op positions should probably be placed under employment - but make sure you describe them as co-op somewhere in your description of them. They are not volunteer work (despite the fact that you didn't get $$) because you did get a school credit for it (therefore you did receive some compensation for it!).

2. Any research experience that you have may be placed under the research category... regardless of whether it led to a publication or not. Simply list it as 'lab assistant' or whatever it was that you did and the supervisor that you worked for.

Guest Madz25

I put my co-op experience as "other." I never really thought of putting it under employment.

I put my research experience under "volunteer" since I was volunteering in a lab. Last year, I had put my lab work under "research" first, but then for Ottawa's detailed sketch it was required to list publications as a result of your research experience. It was easier to put the lab work under "volunteer" and give a description of what I did rather than leave the publication field blank.

Madz

Guest aneliz

There really is no right or wrong answer on how to address either of these issues.... put them where they make the most sense to you... a school is not going to disqualify you over something like this... so you can relax...

As long as you don't have 'feeding the residents of happy acres nursing home' listed under formal education... or graduated from Gr 12 under 'volunteer work', it will all be fine.

The admissions committees don't stress about these kinds of questions... so neither should you!

Archived