Premed 101 Forums

Oversaturation In Canada?

STpure

I can only speak to Ontario. Is Job saturation an issue? Yes, it is becoming a clear problem and has been affecting the ability of some people to find job in larger area. In Ontario anyway, finding permanent positions has become difficult within larger urban centres, but an hour out from the urban centres are still likely okay. I can't speak to alberta whatsoever, but the trend will continue until something is done about enrolment (which will probably never be done). 

Does this mean you should abandon ship? I don't know. If pharmacy is something you have always wanted to do, then I think you should do it. If it is just about money, then find another profession that is in demand. Word of warning though, whether Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing or whatever, the general consensus from everyone is that jobs in large metropolitan centres are becoming harder to find do to oversaturation because everyone wants to be in the healthcare field.

I don't know about the job market in general, but I know that all of my friends who were in pharmacy are working, happy at their jobs and making good money...

In Quebec, it's heaven right now for pharmacists. There are a loooooot of jobs here, especially for hospital pharmacists. It will probably stay like this for a few more years, at least 3-5.

However, it's definitely not the same for the other provinces.

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any current info on saturation of pharmacists in Canada?

People over in sdnforums seem really concerned with the saturation of pharmacists in the states. Is the situation similar in Canada?

That question is hard to answer. Is there a lot of pharmacists in Canada currently? Yes. Is there a shortage of jobs? Yes and no. I won't deny that it might be difficult to find a job as a pharmacist after graduation, there are new graduating classes every year of 100+ new pharmacists looking for jobs, and definitely not that many pharmacists who are close to retiring or quitting or relocating, etc. But it WILL be easier for you as a new grad looking for a job if you have a good networking system going for you (whether it's attending pharmacy events, getting a job as a pharmacy student, doing research with profesors, etc basically just build up your resume), market yourself well (i.e. goes back to the whole build up your resume), and you are FLEXIBLE. This is the main deterrent for new grads who complain about oversaturation/not being able to find a job. If you are flexible, you WILL likely be able to find a job. It may not be the ideal job, you may have to relocate to rural areas, do float pharmacist work for a while, work in an environment that you may not like (i.e. community over hospital), etc.

Archived