Premed 101 Forums

Application Status

Mine just turned to "File being reviewed by file reviewers" today.

Same here. 12% more applications this year than last (for a total of 1332 IP and 255 OOP). Success rate is about 14% according to Dr. Walker. Scary stuff. They interviewed 448 Albertans and 90 OOP last year, and it seems like the number is going to be around there this year too.

Same here. 12% more applications this year than last (for a total of 1332 IP and 255 OOP). Success rate is about 14% according to Dr. Walker. Scary stuff. They interviewed 448 Albertans and 90 OOP last year, and it seems like the number is going to be around there this year too.

It's the same this year too. And the number of applicants is going up for every medical school, not a big deal.

The numbers should stay the same but what affect that has on the applicants who receive interviews is yet to be decided. I would want to say it would drive the averages up, but there is no way to really know. 

Actually numbers should increase every year and would likely continue to increase if it wasn't for the new 2015 MCAT rule next year. Look at every medical school in the country, number of applicants are going up. McMaster alone went up close to 500 applicants from 4500 to 5000 applications this year. A lot of this has to do with immigration, social media, population growth, and more people wanting a secure job.

Sorry I don't think I was clear with my point. The numbers I was referring to were the number of people INVITED to the interviews, as the seats are not going to change (most likely). 

My second point was the impact on the applicant pool, assuming more applicants = more competitive, higher averages in all the categories may be expected, making it increasingly competitive. 

Next year is definitely a different game but I am curious to see how that translates to this year. 

That being said I will refrain from continuing this topic as this was a status topic originally. My apologies for the tangent lol 

Sorry I don't think I was clear with my point. The numbers I was referring to were the number of people INVITED to the interviews, as the seats are not going to change (most likely). 

My second point was the impact on the applicant pool, assuming more applicants = more competitive, higher averages in all the categories may be expected, making it increasingly competitive. 

Next year is definitely a different game but I am curious to see how that translates to this year. 

That being said I will refrain from continuing this topic as this was a status topic originally. My apologies for the tangent lol 

True. I guess it'll be interesting to see how it turns out this year and especially next year.

Archived