Premed 101 Forums

Mentioning Number Of Application Attempts In Personal Statement.

While answering why I want to be a physiotherapist, would it be appropriate to mention that this will be my 3rd time at applying to the University in an attempt to show that I'm, you know, dedicated and relentless?

Do you think this'll be a smart idea or more of a desperation?

Thanks 

While answering why I want to be a physiotherapist, would it be appropriate to mention that this will be my 3rd time at applying to the University in an attempt to show that I'm, you know, dedicated and relentless?

Do you think this'll be a smart idea or more of a desperation?

Thanks 

Unless they explicitly ask whether you've applied previously, do not mention that you've had two unsuccessful attempts. There's very little to be gained by that disclosure and a lot to lose.

Persistence is a good quality and once you get into the program the fact that you've applied multiple times could become an example of your perseverance, but until you get in it'll only bring up the question of why you should be admitted now when you were already rejected twice. Rule of thumb: bring up failure only when you can show it led to success later on. 

There's a very fine line in life between persistence and foolishness... Unfortunately it isn't obvious to the adcoms which virtue you possess without going into a lot more detail!

I'm with ralk, demonstrate your positive character traits in a manner which is less subject to interpretation. I'm sure you have loads that you can discuss given a bit of thought!

142.jpg

Think harder Homer.

Archived