Premed 101 Forums

Graduate Degrees

Hello, 

I am not a resident of Calgary... was never planning on applying. But I think I may give it a shot. For any of you that have been through the application process, would you happen to know if a graduate degree improves chances of admission? 

Thank you

You get 1 point on your app if you have completed a thesis based masters (and defended before applying) and 3 if you completed your PhD. 

Other graduate degrees may help you in terms of adding unique aspects to your Top 10. Someone like myself (4th year B.Sc. psychology) vs. a physiotherapist or OT applicant? If I was on admissions and was looking for depth and breadth in the application, I'd probably choose the PT or OT student. Of course there are individual differences, but I like how Calgary has an older average student age because they value experience. If I'm fortunate to get in to multiple schools, I'd probably prefer UofC because it would be nice to hear about those experiences or have older classmates to get some wisdom and mentorship in life. 

What degree do you have or are in the process of completing? Unless you are planning to do a graduate degree 

The information in the reply is actually inaccurate.  You do not get any extra points for the University of Calgary if you have a graduate degree.  That information applies only to the University of Alberta in Edmonton.

A graduate degree can be reflected in your top 10 and you likely would be able to highlight some of the skills you are looking for.  I have a graduate degree and I was not accepted last cycle so it does not mean that you are a walk in.  

You get 1 point on your app if you have completed a thesis based masters (and defended before applying) and 3 if you completed your PhD. 

Other graduate degrees may help you in terms of adding unique aspects to your Top 10. Someone like myself (4th year B.Sc. psychology) vs. a physiotherapist or OT applicant? If I was on admissions and was looking for depth and breadth in the application, I'd probably choose the PT or OT student. Of course there are individual differences, but I like how Calgary has an older average student age because they value experience. If I'm fortunate to get in to multiple schools, I'd probably prefer UofC because it would be nice to hear about those experiences or have older classmates to get some wisdom and mentorship in life. 

What degree do you have or are in the process of completing? Unless you are planning to do a graduate degree 

@CrazyMedMom, You'd be able to drop your lowest undergrad year but ONLY if you substitute in your masters marks, right? Or do you simply get to drop an undergrad year without replacing it with something?

Is this for thesis based or course based masters? I've a lot of friends with masters/grad backgrounds.

@maybe now - yes, that's right.  Although my Masters was 2 years (course based), I could only use my combined 2 year GPA.  When you enter it all in to UCAN, the system automatically drops your worst undergraduate GPA year.  I don't think it matters for GPA purpsoes if it's a course or thesis based degree; it might be weighted differently in the assessment of academic merit, however

Last year's application manual clarifies in saying:

Applicants with a completed graduate degree in addition to at least two full-time years of undergraduate studies will have their overall GPA from their graduate program used as equivalent to one year of undergraduate GPA for the purposes of this calculation. In the event that an applicant has multiple years with graded courses within their graduate program, the graduate degree GPA will be calculated using the weights of the individual courses.

E.g. Clare has been out of school for 2 years. She has a BA and an MA. Her annual GPA’s for her BA were 3.7, 3.2, 3.6, and 3.1. Her GPA in her MA was 3.8. Her 3.1 year is eliminated, so her calculated GPA is (3.7+3.2+3.6+3.8)/4=3.58.

@CrazyMedMom, You'd be able to drop your lowest undergrad year but ONLY if you substitute in your masters marks, right? Or do you simply get to drop an undergrad year without replacing it with something?

Is this for thesis based or course based masters? I've a lot of friends with masters/grad backgrounds.

You still need to have 2 years of full time undergraduate work regardless of if you have a graduate degree.  if you only have one full time undergrad year and a graduate degree you would not be eligible to apply.  As well, if you only have two full time undergrad years and a grad degree then the only year that could be dropped is that grad degree.  

You still need to have 2 years of full time undergraduate work regardless of if you have a graduate degree.  if you only have one full time undergrad year and a graduate degree you would not be eligible to apply.  As well, if you only have two full time undergrad years and a grad degree then the only year that could be dropped is that grad degree.  

Oh does this also mean that you can't or aren't allowed to "drop" your grad degree marks at all? (i.e. you'd not be allowed to NOT have your marks from the grad degree assessed). 

I mean I assume most people with grad degrees would WANT their marks counted - or to be substituted for undergrad marks. But you never know. :rolleyes:  So for U Calgary any grad degree marks must be counted, or...?

Archived