Premed 101 Forums

Thank you ezBoards:

Guest ComplacentTragedy

Guest ComplacentTragedy

EDIT: I bumped this topic for reason's explained later in this thread, to complete the story of what happened. This was originally titled, "My confidence lost... oh, and a UAlberta question. Sorry if I tick off some moderators."

----------------------------------------------

Hey Guys:

This year, I've started to feel very vulnerable.

While I have always been aware of my weaknesses, and consistently have done my best to attend to them, I do not think I have ever doubted myself as I ever had. This is having a terribly adverse effect on my finals this term. I have just recieved the lowest mark I have ever gotten in a course, even when I had studied (what I had thought was) well.

NOTE: By the time you read this line of banter, you will realize that you should probably not bother reading the rest.

In essence, I could use some input. A place to bounce off ideas, insecurities, and thoughts. A forum if you will.

Of course I have friends back here at home. But discussing with them is not always the most useful, for reasons I'm sure each of you have experienced.

"I'm really not too confident in myself right now..."

"Oh, I'm SURE you'll ace, you always do well!"

... and then they continue to remark about the time in grade 10 when you won the spelling bee. What I cannot seem to comprehend is how shaken this whole application process has made me. Before the battle is even over, I've already tried to force myself to accept defeat. It is self-doubt at its highest level, and while I've overcome my own feelings of ineptitude before, I simply am unable to deal with them now.

And that really concerns me.

I've hit rant territory. I'm sorry. You don't have to reply to the above junk. I just wanted to let it out that yes, there is another one of us who is so busy second guessing himself that he forgets to focus on what is important.

Like, sprinkles.

Anyway, while this is a UofA question, I posted here becaues of the above reason.

What does it take for an OOP, justfinishedhissecondyear student to get in? In particular, GPA (both Overall and Prereq).

To those reading this line - thank you. And for the record - I never one the spelling bee.

Yes that was intentional.

Guest potential md

Hi there,

It's hard to give somebody a pep talk when you can't reflect to them the positive qualities they have, but I'll give it a shot. Don't let the application process get you down. It makes everyone (even the most accomplished people) uneasy and feeling a bit inept because of all the hoops they put you through. I think what's important is to know what you're good at (in life that is, not just academics) and remember that - it can help bring you confidence when you most need it.

I don't know what the chances are for anyone at any stage of life in getting into med school. I think you can fill out the criteria only so much, and then it depends on who interviews you and who the competition is. Given that you're pretty green in your undergraduate studies, don't sweat it if you aren't successful this time with your application. If medicine is something you're committed to doing, I'm sure you'll be successful sometime - this year, next or the year after that. Don't let the crazy process distract you from your finals this year. They are important and I'm sure you'll find your studying groove soon. Good luck.;)

Guest RoseSmurfette

Even the best of students have times of self-doubt. In fact, perhaps the best of students are more likely to have them because they have higher standards for themselves, put more on their plates, have higher stress, etc. Try to keep the big picture in mind. I know you think doing well/poorly on an exam is a big deal, but it really isn't the end of the world - med schools look at you holistically and some discount your worst mark/year. So just do your best, keep plugging away at it if medicine is what you want to do, and have faith that you'll be alright. When you work hard and try your best, things don't always work out in the short-term (ie. you might still do poorly on an exam if you studied), but they usually work out in the long-term.

Good luck!

Guest muchdutch

First of all, what do you think is a 'poor' grade? An A-? Or an F? Because you can survive with an F or two on your transcript and still make it just fine into med school depending on your other grades. Don't sweat it if you don't get a 4.0 in everything in your undergrad. Some lower marks are forgiveable, and if need be (read: a low pre-req grade) you can always upgrade by taking a more senior level course.

So what's the rush to get in after your next (3rd) year? I realize you may be hot to trot (who isn't on this forum?), but there's plenty of time. The best thing for you to do is to apply and go from there. If you get rejected, it is great practise for filling out the application, and you can get a file review to see where your weaknesses lay and improve the next year. As said before, med schools look at you holistically, so you have to have the whole package, not just the grades. As long as you make the cutoffs, you will still be considered for interview, and after that, grades don't make much of a difference from what I know.

Take a deep breath. Study your hardest/smartest, and that's all you can really do at this point. It's not like missing one or two points on one exam will be the difference between you getting into medicine or not. There's so much more involved than that. So relax, do your best, and don't stress yourself out about it so much that it interferes with the rest of your life!

ps- if you would really like to know what it takes, gpa-wise, for a second year/third year student to be accepted, visit the website and check out their gpa cutoffs for this group.

Guest ComplacentTragedy

Thank you guys for your reassurance. I'm feeling a bit better.I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Potential MD - Indeed, I'm still green. With envy. I know, we all have friends who have those 4.0's... it's just that without mine, I feel so... impotent. You're correct though, I must focus on my finals... thanks for the pep. Good luck to you too.

RoseSmurfette - My Grandmom thinks I put too much on my plate too... which is why she implied I was fat. While you are correct that ther is a holistic element to the process (at the UofA), at the UofS, my in province, it's

(overall) x .76 + (interview out of 24) = Awesome/Kindaawesome/tehsuck

But yes.. long run...

muchdutch - Well, you're right... I lost about a percent on my overall average, and about .08 on my GPA when I do the math. It's more so realizing my vulnerabilities that scares me. I checked the online UofA numbers, but I was still hoping for a few personal examples.

BTW, I'm not too sure what 'hot to trot' means, but it sounds sexy. I'm all for it.

Overall, I'm just shellshocked... there are so many out there with 4.0's, and I really question how I did on the interviews. Neh, at least I'll always have Simple Plan.

Thank you all.

Guest Lactic Folly

The advice above is good. I would also add that it is valuable to write down all the positive qualities and accomplishments you can think of, as well as why you are well suited for medicine. Often we get stuck in the habit of focusing on our shortcomings out of proportion to their actual contribution to our personal makeup, and it is helpful to have something to read and refer back to restore a more balanced perspective.

BTW, I'm not too sure what 'hot to trot' means, but it sounds sexy. I'm all for it.

I definitely had a chuckle at that. :rollin I believe the reference means that you are eager (hot) to get going (trot) with respect to your medical education.

Anna :)

Guest kellyl20

Heard that for each year it is approx 2-3 OOP from third year getting in and their GPA is about 3.9/4.0. They also have high interview score. But there should not be any rush to get an MD @ 23, although it is nice for specialties seeing that there can be 3-5 years added.

Guest muchdutch
I believe the reference means that you are eager (hot) to get going (trot) with respect to your medical education

well said - that is how I intended it here. I thought everybody knew that one. Perhaps I am too 'old school' for you (hah!).

but yes, it does have many, many useful meanings....

Guest Saberial

"muchdutch - Well, you're right... I lost about a percent on my overall average, and about .08 on my GPA when I do the math."

Not to offend you but a percent off your overall grade? In the big scheme of things, your "worst" mark ever is very miniscule. Don't get caught worrying about losing a percent here or there, look at the big picture!

Guest GundamDX

it read 0.08 ==> 0.1%? Heck one course in my 4th year cost me 0.7% in my CGPA, when I already have took over 95+ credits! It's totally fine to have self-doubt and be troubled by it, but it sounds like you're only finishing up 2nd year... lots of time to make up any ground that you think you might have lost! Well, unless you're being very keen on getting in after 2 years of undergrad... :P

Guest ComplacentTragedy

Heh, yeahhhh, I know I sound dumb. It's just that it's 7 percent lower than (what was) my lowest mark. Like I said, it's more of it causing such doubt in me that scares me.

Lactic: Perhaps I'll review what I wrote down for myself during the interviews... good call.

Strengths: Tetris

Weaknesses: Cooking

It all balances out.

Anna: Thanks for the rolling emoticon. Coincidentally, that's what I looked like while studying for finals today.

Kelly: Thanks for the numbers. You see, that is my fear - if the level of competition is so strong, couldn't a fraction indeed be the make or break?

muchDutch: So since being 'hot to trot' does NOT involve handcuffs and a feather, I don't think I'll be doing it anymore...

Saberial: Don't worry, I'm not offended... I am a silly.

DX: I hear you, I know, it's miniscule. But you see...

... the thing is, here at UofS (due to the extreme SEVENTY SIX PERCENT GRADES clause), people are not getting in over .8 of a CGPA, which is sad yes, but the cutoff must be somewhere. Now, my passion would be UofA - but since I am second year, and OOP, I was told that I am in the most difficult pool to be accepted in. Which means my drop in GPA may in fact be where I fall.

I thank you all for your input, and for future thoughts, if any. I started this thread when I was in pseudoshock, you know the type where....

"Hm... three weeks until May fiftee... AH!@H!H!H!HAHHEFH!HFDOHoneADOHU!$#@!!@@@two@"

... and then I posted my insecurities. Over here, and I'm sure at many schools, there are tons of dedicated people who make it their life to get into med - whenever I see them, I question my own numbers. And the biggest problem, for me, is that I haven't doubted myself so much in years.

I'm sorry for causing you guys grief, forcing you to type, "Like, guy, grow up." It's just... unnerving, ya know?

I'm scared, but thankful for your help.

Guest muchdutch
So since being 'hot to trot' does NOT involve handcuffs and a feather, I don't think I'll be doing it anymore...

haha! As I said, it has many uses so if this is what floats your boat... giv'er!:P

• 1 month later...
Guest ComplacentTragedy

Hi everyone:

I'm bumping this old topic to give you an idea how much solice I've found on these forums. It's really helped, and I hoped to:

a) Thank those who have given me so much.

B) Let newcomers know that this is a good place to be.

Alot of the time, I'm just lurking around seeing stats, numbers, and generally just mercenary things. But over the past year on the boards, I also find how much I can relate to you, and how both therapeutic and inspiring that can be.

Now, "pre - med" is such a dirty word. I know each one of you think that. This is what "pre - med" students sound like:

"Gotta get the 4.0 and volunteer at the hospital so the admissions people think I care. Oh, and I'll join this student society, admissions people like that. Cause I heard this one guy got in cause he took care of kids at the clinic. Cause that's sincere."

But I wanted to write that online here is one of the sole places that I feel comfortable discussion the doubts, fears, and really, feelings of inadequecy that comes in our studies.

These boards helped me alot. And to any n00b (rhymes with 'boob tee hee) who has the misfortune of reading this, I'm hoping they realize that it really helps to know that you're not the only one struggling. While the typical impression is that we are constantly competing, it is generosity that I see among friends who strive for what you strive for that keeps us going, and ultimately makes us stronger.

I know I'm not the best, nor the smartest, or even the most hard working - all I've got is my damn sexiness, and that only works on half the interview panel typically. But to anyone who needs it here online, I offer what I can, like those who have helped me so much.

If you read the initial message that started this thread, here's how it ended: I was accepted into the UofS and today was taken off the waitlist at the UofA. Luckily some guy had the mercy to drop out so I could scramble for his/her scraps.

So obviously I'm not the "shiz-nat... uh... izzle," but with these forums, I was helped to regain the determination to keep going, like so many of you had, have, and will realize.

My name is David BTW - and thanks.

- David

Please, only sexual predators PM me and/or track me down in person. Good looking ones.

Archived