Premed 101 Forums

My chances

Guest UBCstu

Hi,

what schools do you think I have a chance at?

MCAT: 37R

GPA~ 86.5% (honours biochem at UBC)

Extracirric: Volunteer at hospital, hospice, tutor, little bit lab experience, exec in club this year, and on a ubc club dance team, etc. But nothing really special. I am not an athlete, have only been volunteering for a couple of years.

Please be completely honest.

Also, I've read many times that US med schools look at the univ. you're from. Is UBC considered "good" or is it not very well known by US schools.

I would kill for some people's Undergrad GPA.

Just add some intersting activity, that will make you stand out. Write an excellent mature essay and as long as you can pull off your interview without getting in trouble. You should have no problem.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

As mentioned above, your academics are strong, but you've got to make sure that the non-academic components of your application are equally as strong. This is especially true to be invited to compete at the Ivy League schools. So if you're aiming for those types of schools, spend a good deal of time on your essays, etc.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Kirsteen is right. You have a great chance of getting in somewhere but keep in mind that applicants to top tier schools ask for a lot more than just academics and MCAT scores (because 99% of applicants to those schools have similar numbers).

Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess I'll just apply to a range of schools and see how I do. I just want to get into a "good" school, I don't think my chances are that great for ivy league schools but I am going to try anyways.

How many schools is it good enough to apply to be pretty sure that you'll get a few interviews? 20, 25?

Archived