Premed 101 Forums

Le Taxes!

hi wise men and women of pm101. 

as residents, do we get a T4 slip from our university/hospital under which we're employed? when can we expect to receive this? if not, do we just collect all our pay stubs?

what about the T2202 A - tuition tax credit? would this also be mailed to us? 

secondly, do we submit all our receipts from the cmpa, oma, cpso, lmcc exam fee receipts etc for any tax breaks? 

thanks for your help in advance :) 

You get a T4 from whoever writes your paycheck. For expected dates, check with the payroll person at your institution. They can tell you an estimate, or provide you with someone who can.

The T2202A from the university would come to you however the university sends them out. I downloaded mine from the university website (this is true of my undergrad and residency university, different schools in different provinces)

You submit what you can claim as expenses. CPSO, LMCC, Royal college, OMA, SOMETIMES auto expenses etc.

If you aren't clear on how to do your taxes now that you are a resident, I would get an accountant who specializes in doc taxes. It's worth the money to avoid a huge fight with the CRA.

thanks nlengr :) 

You get a T4 from whoever writes your paycheck. For expected dates, check with the payroll person at your institution. They can tell you an estimate, or provide you with someone who can.

The T2202A from the university would come to you however the university sends them out. I downloaded mine from the university website (this is true of my undergrad and residency university, different schools in different provinces)

You submit what you can claim as expenses. CPSO, LMCC, Royal college, OMA, SOMETIMES auto expenses etc.

If you aren't clear on how to do your taxes now that you are a resident, I would get an accountant who specializes in doc taxes. It's worth the money to avoid a huge fight with the CRA.

T2202A you can download the pdf file off the web - http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t2202a/README.html

i usually bring it to my finance department at my school and they fill it out

then I give it to my accountant

• 3 months later...

I'm curious. Do residents report call/shift stipend as extra income on top of salary? Or we do get a single T4 slip we can just use/submit around the tax time? 

It should all be included on the same T4 as your regular income.  It is at U of T, anyway.

Archived