Premed 101 Forums

Chance @ US Medical Schools? (any school)

Guest alsex

Canadian Citizen

3.0 cGPA in a Specialized Honours BA in Information Technology degree. (York University)

MCAT 10/10/10

1 year post undergrad degree for science courses (physics/chem/bio) - 3.6GPA for that year!

2 years of non-stop part time work expirience as a medical research student in Cardiology for University of Toronto, during last 2 years of undergraduate studies in my degree.

Is there any chance for any US medical school for someone like me?

I do not hold US citizenship

I think my main problem is that I was a really bad student in first / second year of univ... (a whole bunch of D+'s and C's... however I did have an A+ in Discrete Mathematical Structures haha! its just that I got really unlucky with my own major that I hate alot!)... and then *suddenly* the 3rd year marks jumped to A's, B+'s! I had a really hard time studyin first 2 years...but oh well gotta pay for that now i guess!

I think you'd have a pretty good chance at the mid-range medical schools. The fact that you have a high post undergrad GPA might help, although the you have a rather low cGPA from your undergrad years.

The main issue I would have is that US medical schools cost a considerable amount more than Canadian ones. (UofT CN$17,000 vs. average US med school US$45,000). I really don't know if it's worth going to a medical school in the US unless you are going to a TOP-tier medical school, like Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Yale. That, or you just happen to have lots of money sitting in the bank. :)

Good luck!

Guest VwDubber
I think you'd have a pretty good chance at the mid-range medical schools. The fact that you have a high post undergrad GPA might help, although the you have a rather low cGPA from your undergrad years.

The main issue I would have is that US medical schools cost a considerable amount more than Canadian ones. (UofT CN$17,000 vs. average US med school US$45,000). I really don't know if it's worth going to a medical school in the US unless you are going to a TOP-tier medical school, like Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Yale. That, or you just happen to have lots of money sitting in the bank. :)

Good luck!.

med school tuition in the US is a lot more expensive compared to Canada but it is not quite $45K on avg. There are very expensive schools like Tufts where it will cost about $45K per yr but for the most part, I would say the avg tuition is roughly $35K

Guest VwDubber
Canadian Citizen

3.0 cGPA in a Specialized Honours BA in Information Technology degree. (York University)

MCAT 10/10/10

1 year post undergrad degree for science courses (physics/chem/bio) - 3.6GPA for that year!

2 years of non-stop part time work expirience as a medical research student in Cardiology for University of Toronto, during last 2 years of undergraduate studies in my degree.

Is there any chance for any US medical school for someone like me?

I do not hold US citizenship

I think my main problem is that I was a really bad student in first / second year of univ... (a whole bunch of D+'s and C's... however I did have an A+ in Discrete Mathematical Structures haha! its just that I got really unlucky with my own major that I hate alot!)... and then *suddenly* the 3rd year marks jumped to A's, B+'s! I had a really hard time studyin first 2 years...but oh well gotta pay for that now i guess!

a cGPA of 3.0 is on the low end and will put you at a disadvantage especially since you don't have any citizenship status in the US. It's worth a shot applying but remember to apply as early as possible.

G'luck

Archived