Premed 101 Forums

MD/PhD in US as a Canadian citizen

Guest Jackie Kidd

Guest Jackie Kidd

Hi there,

I want to do MD/PhD. Canada has only 10 spots.

What do you all think? As a Cdn should I apply to US universities?

If yes, which universities?

What are the chances like?

Would like to hear from current applicants or those who applied and got in, joined or not does not matter?

Jackie

Guest docbil

Really only 10 spots.

You should double and triple check those numbers.

Almost every Canadian university has MD/PhD and at least 2 or 3. But definitely try US schools if you don't mind going there.

BUT for real. You can still do a PhD after your MD. It is actually a better option. UofT has great programs for that. In the IMS departement. You get payed better than regular PhD students and get treated much better. Some of the ones I know doing this get their own technician >:

Also if you ever get frustrated with the whole thing, you can just leave. But if you are in MD/PhD program you can't. Not easy anyway.

Guest peachy

Well, docbil, I think it's just a tiny bit unfair to dismiss the whole concept of MD/PhD programs in about two lines. :P While it may not be the right choice of program for many or most people, that doesn't mean that the setup has no merit at all.

Canada has far more than 10 MD/PhD spots, given that U of T alone takes approximately 6 each year. Lots of American MD/PhD programs will accept Canadians; you really want to be reading SDN's MD/PhD forum to get a better sense about US opportunities.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

Seconding some of the above, I'd say that Canada has at least 15-20 MD/PhD program spots available. UBC used to be funded to take 6 per year (with full funding for the student for each year of the MD/PhD program); as peachy noted above, UofT takes 6; UofC takes at least 2-3; UofA accepts 2-4, and McGill also has a program, although I don't know how many folks they accept per year. Those are the schools I know which have MD/PhD programs, and there may be more.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest docbil

Your right Peachy,

I will use more than two lines next time. I think it may need 2 Thesis (or Thesises sp?).

Okay.. all honesty, it was my biased opinion since I am a PhD student at UofT. I know someone who did MD/PhD, but I know manyyyy who are doing PhD after their MD. It appears to be the better choice for lots of people.

Now if you are going to the US and your are poor like I, I would definitely do MD/PhD since you will get stipend and tuition covered at some schools.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest studentz

Washington has the largest MD/PhD program on the continent. Look into it.

You should note though that MSTP in the US is NIH-funded thus you have to be a US citizen or permanent resident to get the funding through those programs.

Guest jaegwon

Studentz - at some schools (Case Western and Wash in St Louis for example), the MSTP is open to international students...I'm not sure how the finances work and whether they actually admit int. students or just accept their application $$, but they do state that funding will be the same for all students who are admitted.

Guest canuck0000

Just a note if you do apply down south. As far as I know, most US schools require that you've written the GRE in order to do graduate school (many also have a minimum score requirement), so you'll need to study for and write the GRE if you do decide on trying for an MD/PhD in the US.

Archived