Premed 101 Forums

Undergrad question.

Guest TequilaFire

Guest TequilaFire

I am in the process of applying to a university for an undergraduate program that would eventually lead me into med school. I have a question directed to anyone who can answer it...what are the traditional "pre-med" programs to apply to at each university, specifically Ontario? (i.e. MacMaster= Health Sciences)

This next question would best be answered by a Mac grad. What criteria is used to assess the supplementary applications? Is it more from an academic or personality based standpoint?

Sorry about any spelling/grammar errors... I'm just on my way out.

Guest blinknoodle
This next question would best be answered by a Mac grad. What criteria is used to assess the supplementary applications? Is it more from an academic or personality based standpoint?

Are you talking about Mac MD or BHSc supplementary applications?

-blinknoodle

Guest codloghorn

for the mac health sciences program you need at least 88% to be considered and 2 sciences (i.e. chem and bio) and an english, i believe.. this is just info. i remember off hand and it could be wrong.. i believe the form is based on academics.. i don't think it has such a "holistic" approach.

Guest TequilaFire

Thanks for the info about the program, but I already knew the prerequisites :) . I was wondering whether the supp. application was personality based because of the personal questions they ask, you know, the "why do you feel you would be a good candidate" type questions. Has anybody else ever assessed the applications for Mac?

Guest druggist

Instead of traditional, why not do what interests you? Med schools will take people no matter what their undergrad, so why not take what interests you and enjoy undergrad before your education is chosen for you in meds?

Cheers

Happy new year

Guest TequilaFire

Well, I have finished applying:D I ended up choosing programs that are "traditional" premed programs, but these are the programs I am most interested in, so everything has come together in the end. Thank you for your advice anyway druggist. By the way, I would still like to have my Mac question answered, so by all means give me any information that pertains to my question about the sup. applications.

Thank you in advance. I have been reading the forum regularly and have found it a valuable resource.

Guest blinknoodle

Hi Tequila,

I know quite a bit about the BHSc program at Mac since I'm in my 4th year there right now.

Students regularly look over the supplementary applications each year - as I have done in the past. Yes, we are looking more for your own personality to come through in the supplementary app. Tell us something your marks alone can't. We are also looking that you know what our program is about and why you think you would fit in. Although another post as suggested we are looking more for academics, I think the supplementary app is meant to get a glimpse into how you spend the rest of your life.

I hope this helps.

-blinknoodle

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, looking back now that I know med schools pretty much teach you the basic biological sciences such as physiology and biochemistry anyways, I wish I'd taken LESS premed courses and more courses of interest such as history of science, comparitive religion and literature. I did a combined honours degree in biochem and immunology/microbiology, but now I think the ideal situation would have been to do a combined honours degree in one of those two subjects and something completely different I was interested in (ie History of Science, English Lit.) That would have been a perfect mix of a good background in biomedical sciences, without making me sick of biomedical sciences (which kind of happened. . .) And I would have been fine doing combined honours with both subjects not in medicine.

As long as you take the basic required first year biology, chemistry and maybe a few other biomedical courses on the side, you'll be fine. You might not do as well on every exam in first and second year as the student sitting next to you who did one of those health science premed programs (ie Human Bio, Life Science, etc) but then again those exams matter little, and you won't have wasted $20,000 in tuition (plus living expenses) for a degree you're essentially going to repeat in medical school anyways.

Guest blinknoodle

In determining which program is right for you, it might make sense to look into the courses you need to take and how many electives you have (also how hard it is to take courses in other departments, etc). I know that of the "pre-med" programs, there is wide variety in this aspect. Having many electives may not be a bad idea because it gives you the opportunity to take "fun" courses (or other courses of interest, as UWOMED suggested) or to specialize in a certain area if you so choose. Just figure out what you want and see where you can do that!

Cheers,

-blinknoodle

• 2 weeks later...
Guest coralrush

I am a BHSc student. Students help evaluate the supplementaries, so I have a pretty good idea how the admissions process works.

First they look at your marks. If it's above 88-90 (or whatever the cutoff is) then your application is reviewed.

The supplementary is reviewed by I think 3 different members of the BHSc community- both staff, students of all years. The quality of the responses are rated on a scale of 1-7.

Apparently, those who got an average of 6-7 were automatically given admission. The program's dean read over all the 5's and admitted those who had the strongest of the applications. Then, the remaining spots were given based on average.

Hope that helps,

coral

Archived