Premed 101 Forums

uofm screwed me?

Guest sweetstuff25

Guest sweetstuff25

i'm from university of manitoba and i just realized i got screwed big time. when i looked at the medical school application forms for OTHER universities, a lot of them (especially Ontario schools) only accept students with 5 full credit course loads per year---which basically means full course load. Now, how will my application be affected if i have taken 4 full course loads each year and 1 during summer? Also, U of M is basically the only university that accepts marks from summer classes (correct me if i'm wrong) so i'm in a way black mailed to only apply to U of M cuz most med schools won't even consider my summer classes. my GPA gets destoyed if i don't include every credit (summer) i have taken throughout my 3 year Bsc degree. what should i do, i can't sleep anymore.... :\

by the way, I am on term 2 of my second year, is it too late to change my fate?

Guest codloghorn

McMaster does accept all courses you take throughout university. Nonetheless, most DO NOT include summer courses in calculating your GPA. As well, most Canadian universities require a FULL COURSE LOAD.

If you pick up a couple of classes that will enable you to have a full course load, than your fate can be changed, but it looks like you'll have to stay for an additional year of university to do so.

Good Luck

Guest sweetstuff25

This term i am taking 5 half courses, so if i take 1 more over the limit this term and complete my last year with 10half courses would i be eligible to apply to other schools?

Guest codloghorn

Yes.. that is also alright to do. As far as I know, it does not matter whether you take the courses in term 1 or 2, as long as you have a FULL COURSE LOAD throughout an entire year of university. Nonetheless, you did not take a FULL COURSE LOAD in your first year, so you will have to make up for that regardless by taking an additional year of university. Nonetheless, University of Toronto and a few other schools do not require a FULL COURSE LOAD, so it is possible to apply to those Med. Schools - just keep in mind your summer courses will not be computed into your GPA and in addition to that, due to the fact that you did not take a FULL COURSE LOAD, your GPA will be computed differently, possibly yielding an even lower GPA.

Guest sweetstuff25

thanks for the info....i think i'm gonna go nuts, i'll just apply to UofC, UofBC, UofM and UofA for med school. Ontario is just too complicated and mean! theres no point in taking 6 courses in 1 term, it will destroy my GPA. :eek

Has anyone considered applying to american schools? ie OHSU?

Guest UWOMED2005

I'm a bit confused as I'm not from the U of M. Have you been taking a full courseload according to U of M? If U of M considers 4 full courses a full courseload then for all I know you might be fine. You'll have to check. If, however, you took 4 + 1 because you knew that was acceptable to U of M's med school but realized it wasn't technically full according to U of M, then yeah, you might run into trouble.

You're in second year, right? UWO looks at TWO full years. You have two years to go, so just take a full courseload those last two years and you're fine.

And if I remember correctly (my second year wasn't a full year when I applied) U of T amalgamates all your courses if you have an incomplete year. So you might be fine there. You should be able to get a better idea by reading through the fine print.

Guest therealcrackers

You would be wise to check the individual school requirements of every school to which you would be interested in applying. Like my colleague says, UWO requires two full years at 5.0 courses September to April, and if you feel that adding two half courses in second semester is too much, you would need a fourth year to meet UWO's requirements. The onus is always on the student to be aware of the various requirements for admission to programs.

Two things to add:

1) Think about the schools that you would see yourself being comfortable at for medical school. Can you live in Halifax, Vancouver or Winnipeg for four years? Does the curriculum and the school's general focus meet with your interests? A little extra research about each one makes a big difference, and this forum (reading the old posts) is a terrific resource for assessing the strengths, deficiencies and requirements for each of the 13 English-language schools. You may decide that there's only a couple you WANT to apply to for those reasons (I did -- got lucky and got into one of them, and am very happy where I am).

2) Often course requirements are there for a reason. Undergraduate isn't a cake walk, but med school is more like hiking in the Himalayas --- the volume of material to learn is MUCH LARGER, and the course requirements are one way certain schools can assess that you can maintain a certain standard while you're busy.

I'm sure someone will add a 3) 4) and 5); good luck the rest of the way.

Guest sweetstuff25

I wanna thank all of you for your generous advice. I'll give it a shot and apply to western med schools in the mean time cuz most of them don't require a Full course load. To be safe on my 3rd year, i'll just take a full load and if i don't get into any med school, i'll just take one more fully loaded year and finish a 4 year major. This way i'll have at least 2 full years and expand my possibilities. Anything wrong with my strategy? please let me know ;)

Archived