Premed 101 Forums

Is there anything you can do about low pre-req average?

Guest driedcaribou

Guest driedcaribou

Hi.

This is a really informative website and there is a lot of great information here so I want to take the time to thank all the posters here and thank Ian Wong for setting this website up!

I apologize if this has been asked before but I don't recall seeing thise question addressed: Is there anything you can do about low marks in the prerequisite courses for Med School applications?

My pre-req average is in the mid-70s.... I know if I retake courses, most schools only look at the first mark right?

What do people do if they went to University 6 years ago and had a bad time due to whatever problems they might have had and screwed up their prereq marks so they were below 70%?

Is it hopeless for them to apply to Medical School?

Is there anything they can do to upgrade their marks?

I'm curious because I don't think everyone is thinking of Med School when they first go into University or College and might not focus on courses that will hurt them later down the road.

Thank you for your time!

Guest UWOMED2005

UWO doesn't care one iota what your specific marks were for your prerequisites. As long as you hit the cutoff GPA for both your BEST year of school and your LAST year of school, no matter what you study, you're fine. I think the same is true for Queen's, McMaster doesn't have any prereqs (so you're fine there as well,) and I'm pretty sure some of the other schools don't look at the actual marks in the prereqs, just that you finished the course.

On the other hand, as the MCAT Physical Science and Biological Science sections test essentially the standard prereqs for med school (biology, chem, orgo chem) and many of the subjects you cover in medicine build on those courses, it is good to have a solid foundation in the prerequisite subjects. But it is absolutely not hopeless for you to apply!

Guest macdaddyeh

Hey driedcaribou (I like that post name BTW)...I'm relatively new at this whole process as a first time applicant; and only to Mac to boot. However, with my limited knowledge in this area, I would like to say that hardly any schools (if any to my knowledge) demand a specific grade for specific "prerequisites." Rather, I would say that most look at the WHOLE PROFILE of the applicant, or in other words the bigger picture. While many schools DO have specific mcat cutoffs and gpa cutoffs, many DO NOT have set cut offs for prereq courses. Many schools, ie. Calgary, Dalhousie, Mac etc do not even have prerequisites! That said check each school's website and as a newcomer poke through some of the archives. I personally would not bother retaking course b/c as you posited, you may indeed be disadvantaged as a result of upgrading (as paradoxical as that may sound....Memorial even says that on their admissions site, for example).

I say it all depends on what you are looking for in a med school. BTW despite medicine being a very competitive program, mid 70's I consider very solid marks for prereqs, provided you have A level grades in other courses. Also, U of T for example now maintains a policy of dropping one's lowest few marks provided you attended school full time throughout.

I would also be careful in mentioning how any personal problems affected your grades UNLESS it is very serious. Otherwise you could save such problems and weave it into your application next year as a learning and growing experience...if that was the case. (I'm assuming you did not apply this year).

Finally, having 6 years off may in some schools (ie. MAC) be seen in a positive light provided you have not simply been working at x part time job and done no medical related paid or volunteer work.

Take care and take it easy. You have plenty of time to think about what to do and I encourage you to apply. Enjoy the holidays:D

Hey there driedcaribou. Are you by any chance from the US? The reason I ask is because I know many US schools have the prereq course GPA and the cumulative GPA. As for schools in Canada, all the ones I know don't look only at GPA for prereq courses as long as what they look at meets the cutoffs.

Some of my prereqs marks were terrible. Neither Ottawa or Western had a problem with it. Only one school in Canada comes to mind that looks at prereqs, Alberta (though there may be more, I don't know about the others because I only applied to Ontario schools).

Guest summervirus

Just to clarify so there's no confusion, there are two medical schools in Alberta: the University of Alberta and the University of Calgary.

Your GPA from prerequisite courses is weighted 25% of your application at the UofA. The UofC's admission process is less clearly defined and is more secretive. But, I know that they look at all your marks. There is no prerequisite requirement at the UofC.

Guest driedcaribou

Wow, you guys are so helpful.

Thank you for all the tips and advice.

I am from BC and the idea of medical school is a relatively new idea for me and I guess I need to spend more time researching everything.

The only medical school I have specific information for is UBC.

I was under the impression pre-reqs were important because I always hear how they are responsible for weeding people out.

I think UBC also weighs 25% of your application on pre-reqs.

You guys have really opened made me realize how ignorant I am regarding medical school. :)

The more I read,the more it seems like a high average for you past 60 credits in addition to a high MCAT is what will get you to the interview stage. That and strong medically related volunteer experience.

I have yet to write the MCAT so I guess on top of studying for that I should start really researching different Med schools!

One more thing, do med school websites tell you how much they weigh what? (i.e. like pre-reqs etc?)? Or do you have to call?

Good luck with your Med school application macdaddyeh

Also, thanks for your help Ceds,UWOMED2005,Sil and summervirus.

You guys have given me some hope. :)

Happy holidays!

Guest summervirus

Many schools have the information available online. Here are the links to the UofC and UofA pages:

1. www.med.ucalgary.ca/admissions/ (click on "Six Admissions Criteria")

2. www.med.ualberta.ca/ugme/...medfaq.cfm (scroll to question 9)

By the way, the details of UofC's "formula" are highly secretive. If you try phoning/e-mailing the admissions office, they won't disclose anymore than they have revealed on the website. They'll tell you something like, "There's no formula" or "There's no special weighting placed on any component."

For links to other schools, visit

www.premed101.com/medschools.html

Archived