Premed 101 Forums

Questions For 4Th Year Medical Student

• 2 weeks later...

Do you find that, for the English and Out of Ottawa stream, that the majority of the matriculated or even interviewed students have a working knowledge in French, or are there some that just have a weak enough grasp that they wouldn't be putting it on their application?

Do you find that, for the English and Out of Ottawa stream, that the majority of the matriculated or even interviewed students have a working knowledge in French, or are there some that just have a weak enough grasp that they wouldn't be putting it on their application?

In the English stream, most can't carry on a conversation in French.  They might understand some words but that is it.  Some do speak fluent French though but they are not the majority.  You do have the opportunity to learn while in med school but you have to actively pursue the opportunities.

I'd love to hear about your clinical rotations and electives, and specifically which ones you've enjoyed the most and why. :)

Wow I feel like I'm the one being interviewed haha! I really loved my med electives at the University of Ottawa because the ratio student/resident/attending is really good (especially at the Montfort Hospital).  You are often one on one with them which is unheard of at other schools! There are also opportunities to do lots of rural electives - which are by far the best experiences for my colleagues over the years.  Strongly suggested! My favorite electives were at the Royal Ottawa but I am bias as I love psychiatry.  With the opportunities to start doing electives in the very first week of school, you can do as many as you want and figure out other opportunities as you go. 

In the English stream, most can't carry on a conversation in French.  They might understand some words but that is it.  Some do speak fluent French though but they are not the majority.  You do have the opportunity to learn while in med school but you have to actively pursue the opportunities.

This is great news, thank you very much! I was under the impression most english stream interviewees knew quite a bit of french. I would love to learn it at the same time, I saw there were classes for it. Let's hope I can own the new MCAT and get one next cycle xD>

In first year, how many electives is it realistically possible to do and how? Is there a weekly minimum time commitment for each (and I'm guessing no option to cancel in the middle)?  

You could do one every week if you wanted to ... but I don't recommend it you need a break and time to study!  Some in my class have done close to no electives during their med school and others did one once a month.  You can do a one day 3 hour elective, but you need a minimum of 10 hours for it to count on your MSPR (Medical Student Permanent Record). Same rule applies to interest groups.   Oh and first year electives are usually observation electives, so you just follow the doctor around ... not too demanding.  

My question is regarding the GPA in the French Class.

What is the average GPA of candidates in the French Class, since I considering applying to the next cycle.

My WGPA should be around 3.82-3.85. (I'm more confident in my ABS then my GPA)

Let me know what you think, and congrats on your graduation this next year :)

Thanks!

What is the average GPA of candidates in the French Class, since I considering applying to the next cycle.

Thanks!

Thanks!

I think your GPA will get you through for the French stream interviews but they do have different cutoffs if you are from the Ottawa region or a CNFS candidate and it varies every year.  I would contact Chantal Renaud at Chantal.Renaud@uottawa.ca - she should be able to disclose the minimum GPA for the last couple of years for your group. 

I think your GPA will get you through for the French stream interviews but they do have different cutoffs if you are from the Ottawa region or a CNFS candidate and it varies every year.  I would contact Chantal Renaud at Chantal.Renaud@uottawa.ca - she should be able to disclose the minimum GPA for the last couple of years for your group. 

On that note, who would the contact be for the English, out of ottawa stream? Thanks in advance :), also congrats on your upcoming graduation!

Archived