Premed 101 Forums

research

Guest MDFEVER

Guest MDFEVER

I am just wondering how many of the undergraduate applicants have research experience. I am trying to get a research job in this summer and found it's very diffcult. Any advice?

Guest Biochem10

First of all, a question: Where would you like to do summer research? If you're in Toronto, you should check out the Toronto Forum because we were having a summer research discussion recently. My suggestion is to check out all potential hospital or institution websites in which you wish to work. Deadlines are coming up, I think most of them are in February. It shouldn't be too hard to find something and you can always try e-mailing your profs. I worked for two summer at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto and I know that there are similar positions at Sick Kids and PMH. Which year of undergrad are you in? Most of these programs are aimed for 2nd and 3rd undergrads, but it's possible they will take 1st year. Most have a policy about not accepting graduates because they figure if you want to do research you would have applied to graduate school, in which case you can start in May (unofficially) if you like. Hope this helps. Good Luck

Guest Tanya24

Hi MDFEVER,

Have you considered volunteering? It doesn't help pay the bills, but profs are usually more willing to take on research assistants for free! I contacted my school's research dept. and inquired if any of the staff would like to have a part-time volunteer to do scut work, phone calls, computer data entry, and maybe more with time. Another suggestion is to volunteer in a prof's research lab. Perhaps you could book appointments for test subjects, maintain the equipment, do photocopying, etc. Finally, remember that most undergrads who claim to have "research" experience are doing a thesis project as part of their degree programs. This is a good option as well. By the way, I certainly am not trying to minimize the time and effort it takes to complete a thesis (I have first hand experience here). Rather, I simply point out that "research experience" doesn't have to constitute a full-time NSERC-funded summer job in the jungle. There are other ways to take this initiative. That's my humble opinion.

Take care,

Tanya.

Guest UOMeds05

assuming that you are in a science-related field of study... check out the federal government summer student job brochures. They have a number of research positions all over the country... i did one a few years ago in Alberta... the pay is pretty good plus they cover all your travel and expenses. great experience and usually top researchers.

Guest MDFEVER

Whoa, you guys are great! Thank you so much. I am a second year McMaster student. I really want to have a summer research job to borden my experience. As I mentioned before, I found it's hard and I have contacted a few professors without any success. Perhaps, moderators from Mac can give me some advice.

UOMeds05, do you know the link to go to the summer student job website? Thanks for all of you.

Guest cheech10

As for research experience: not everyone talks much about their CV/experiences in general, except for fundamental stuff like fields of study, or really exciting and unusual stuff. Of the top of my head, probably more than half my class has some research experience, be it from summer programs or grad studies. On the other hand, it's definitely not essential to your application, and there are many students that haven't done any research.

Archived