Premed 101 Forums

When does school start?

Guest DHP62

I realize this is SERIOUSLY jumping the gun...BUT...

Can a first year med student in each of the Ontario schools please post when Orientation week began this year at your school?

I'm planning on traveling in August, and want to know when I should be back by. Its so hard to make any plans for the summer/next school year (eg housing) when you don't know for sure where you'll be. So I'm being hopeful :rolleyes ... which is probably not healthy, but ah well...

Thanks for the info

DHP

Guest UOMeds05

I know what you mean about planning difficulties... it only gets worse since you have to wait until June 1st or longer if you are wait-listed... but i guess it is just part of the process.

School (2 week orientation) at U of Ottawa begins on Tuesday after the long weekend in September... they have talked about changing this for a while, but i don't believe that that is going to happen.

Happy planning!

Guest UWOMED2005

UWO O-week activities usually start the Wednesday before Labour day. . . can't remember exact date, but it's something like the 26/27/28/29th of August.

Guest jmh2005

I don't know if you are interested in Mac, but 1st year (class of 2006) O-week begins Monday, August 25th and classes begin the following Tuesday, September 2nd (Labour Day is Sept 1st this year).

Hope that helps!

J

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Over the past couple of weeks we met up with the teams from Harvard and Cornell in some squash tournaments and had the opportunity to hear a little about their academic experiences. I'm not sure if this applies to their medical school timetables as well, but Harvard were telling us that their undergraduate classes don't re-start after the December holidays until the very end of January. Luxurious, although I imagine that they must have to make up for those 3-4 "lost" weeks somewhere else, e.g., there goes May! Also, apparently Cornell offer an undergraduate program leading to a degree in hospitality and hotel management?! Wild. No wonder that the average quality of service level in U.S. hotels and restaurants is leagues above us.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Kirsteen....we have already lost May....at UWO O-week starts the last week of August and we aren't done classes and exams until mid-June...this gives us a short summer....which further compounds the debt problems because there is a very limited time in which to work.

Guest UWOMED2005

Actually Kirsteen, us Canadian Med students already lose May! We only have 10 weeks off for the summer here are Western. . . can't see how you could shave anything off that.

Maybe those Harvard folks are jest slackas. :P

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

Sorry, I should have specified the type of "undergrad" that the Harvard folks represented: they were not undergraduate medical students, but students completing their B.A. and B.Sc. programs. I knew that a fair number of Canadian medical schools have programs that extend well into the summer, however it would be interesting to see how the timelines compare to those of our neighbours below if their B.A. and B.Sc. timelines are that different.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

(all comments are about undergrad timelines..) I think that summers at US schools are MUCH shorter on average, aren't they? Like, they're closer to two-month high-school summers than the four-month summers most of us are used to. ... I ran into this looking for summer internships in the US; most of the things I found were six or eight-week programs, to fit better into the short summers of US schools. Which was great. :)

... and at some schools, the trade-off for having the long break is that fall-term exams are AFTER you get back from vacation!! Which totally sucks, because either you study during break or you feel guilty for not studying.... :)

Guest Kirsteen

No bubbles are bursting over here--it was a general comment about the relatively unusual undergraduate life chez Harvard! I'd be quite happy to relinquish my summers if I attended medical school at the likes of Calgary or Mac (had I applied to the latter); after all, I'd much rather do those sorts of meds-related activities in a future summer than relinquish another summer to the MCAT!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Biochem10

I think I remember seeing something posted on the McGill board about a registration session in August (2nd week, may be?) that is mandatory. That would really not be good for someone who plans on being away during the summer.

Guest medicator007

We had our MANDATORY registration session for first years on the 14th of august with the first day of classes on the 19th this year.

Plus, since they have decided to add more material to the beginning of second year for us, we will be starting a week earlier than all previous years...

And to answer previous threads we have classes and exams this year until June 20th...

Medicator

Archived