Premed 101 Forums

calculating GPA with pass/fail courses?

Guest nursingstudentKyle

Guest nursingstudentKyle

Hey everyone,

Do any of you know how I go about caluculating GPA with a number of courses which are pass/fail graded. My practicum courses as a nursing student are graded that way and I was wondering how they factor into my GPA.

Is there any way to put a number value on it, or do I just omit them when I add up all the figures?

thanks!:D

No idea...I imagine that every school will have their own method of dealing with this. You might want to directly contact the individual schools that you are interested in.

I was also a nursing student. The pass fail courses are just a pass. They count for number of credits (ie. to make sure you are taking 5 courses per semester) but do not count for GPA. Just ignore them when calculating your GPA.

Guest nursingstudentKyle

Hey Sil. i've got a few questions for you if you've got a chance to get back to me that would be great.

where did you go to school? in BC?

i was wondering what you did with regrads to writing your MCAT? is there any way to fit more science courses into a nursing schedule so that i can be ready for the MCAT sooner than later? possibly summer courses?

also..how did you explain to your interviewers why you wanted to be a doctor and not a nurse. i'm struggling with this question myself, not because i don't want to be a doctor, but rather, because many of the same reasons i want to be a nurse are the same reasons why i want to be a doctor. if you wouldn't mind sharing, id like to know how you tackled that question.

thanks for your thoughts!

kdanielson@mailcity.com

Guest Ian Wong

Heya,

Just wanted to make a note here. If you are asking a set of questions different than the original topic, please start a new thread entirely, with a new subject.

ie: "What obstacles exist for a premed nursing student" or "How do you fit MCAT courses into an RN degree?" etc.

In the future, if any other nursing students want similar information, they'll be unable to find it easily if the information is buried within a thread entitled: "Pass/fail courses." Also, if there are other people from nursing backgrounds who might have information they could contribute, if they overlook this thread because the subject has no mention of the word "nursing", then that doesn't help either.

Thanks! :)

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Archived