Premed 101 Forums

Another windy city...

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi folks,

Toronto was pretty crispy today (-27 with the wind chill or something thereabouts); however, this Friday I'm heading to the original windy city for a few days--Chicago. I've only every seen Chicago from 30,000 feet up to now, but I'll have some time to kick around and get a feel for things Chicageean. Have any of you heard of or been through any great/interesting/fun activities/places/events there that you'd care to recommend? (The aquarium looks fab and they also have a museum of surgery which sounds unusual and interesting.)

I'd love some ideas.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Well, I'm in the Chicagoland area right now... at Northwestern med. I'd show you around, but I have a CVRR test on Monday. It's kinda cold here right now, I think it was -13 F with the windchill today. This is a great city and I've really taken a liking to it. The Museum of Contemporary art is really cool. There's the Sears tower which is the tallest building in the US now. The John Hancock tower, which is right next to my dorms has an amazing bar/lounge on the 95th floor and is amazing at night. If you like shopping, Michigan Avenue is really cool, it's right by the lake. Hmmm... what else? Navy Pier is really cool, although it's kinda dead now, since it's so cold. If you like music, definitely check out the Chicago Symphony. That's all I can think of for now. Why are you in Chicago?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi moo,

Thanks very much for the tips; I noticed that you didn't place, hanging at an Oprah show, among them!! I'll look into the Museum of C.A. as well as the Hancock Tower, though. For some reason I thought the latter was residential and never expected a bar to be atop it. Have you heard much about the Green Dolphin at all? Some have mentioned that it's a pretty decent venue for jazz, but again, I'm going by second-hand experience here.

As to the reason behind the visit, our reading week is next week. Since most of it is to be devoted to MSc-related activities, and since I uncovered a great wee deal on airfare and roof, I figured I'd head to a new place to do some non-MSc. exploring and give the neurons a wee break--if only for a couple o' days. I'm looking forward to checking your city out!

Cheers, thanks again, and good luck on your exam!

Kirsteen

Guest tantastic

Chicago's great Kirsteen:

I hope you don't mind, I'm gonna throw in some suggestions. I was there just last summer for 4 days and it was awesome :eek

Please check out the Alder Planetraium and Astronomy museum. Some really cool things in there! I think it may be too cold for this but if the harbour isn't frozen, Chicago's First Lady boat gives a fantastic architecture tour. The Chicago Mercantile exchange was neat too! I think its the only stock exchange in the world that trades options, lots of activity, lots of excitement.

I'm not too sure about Oprah but guess what show I saw the taping off when I was in Chicago. The Jerry Springer Show :o It was really halarious and I would advise you to go(just keep your top securely on ;) )

Well have a super duper safe and fun trip and keep us posted as to your shenanigans.

BTW Kirsteen, do you have the website address for the epi program, the only one I could find was the clinical epi site.

Thanks alot and stay cool jazz cat :smokin

Guest Kirsteen

Hi tantastic,

Thanks for the additional Chicago tips. If you don't mind I think I'll avoid any risks of toplessness in Chicago by taking a body swerve of the Springer show. (Don't they throw chairs and other stage props around too? Gads.)

Here's a link to the UofT Epi program, run by the Dept. of Public Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine:

www.phs.utoronto.ca/prog_epi_msc.asp

If you have any questions with respect to the program, please ask.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

If you do ask any questions, could you please start a new thread in the Toronto forum? :) That way any other Clin Epi folks will have an easy time finding it in the future.

Thanks,

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Sorry, I've never heard about the Green Dolphin. Not much of a jazz fan, unfortunately. However, I forgot to mention that Chicago was recently rated the second fattest city in America. Which means, there's tons of good food! Definitely check out Chicago deep dish pizza. Not as good as New York style, but pretty unique and even if you don't like it, it's worth the experience. Also, there's this place called the Cheesecake Factory next to the hancock tower, which is great for dessert. Ok, that's it for now, back to studying!

moo

ubc, 2002

northwestern--feinberg 2006

Guest Kirsteen

Thanks for the added tips! For once I'd like to return with a little less hand luggage than more, so I think I may avoid too many deep dish pizzas!

Off to the airport--have a great and warm weekend all,

Kirsteen

Archived