Premed 101 Forums

one year Masters Degree

Guest MDin2006

Guest MDin2006

I'm thinking about applying to medical school again this year (applied to Mac last year and didn't get anywhere). I'll be finishing my honours bachelor of science degree next April and wanted a "back up" just in case I get rejected again. Does anyone know of any one year masters programs in Canada?

Guest MDin2006

I'm doing by undergraduate degree in psychology. I would like to study something that relates to my future career goals, so something along the lines of public health or health administration would be nice.

Guest ubcgal

I was planning on doing a 1 year masters too as a back up plan but everyone I talked too discredited the 1 year program and argued that for the extra year of a 2 year program, you come out with so much more! Hey we're all going to be in school forever anyways, what's another year! You have to ask yourself if you're doing it for the little piece of paper at the end (or a filler to keep you busy until you get into med)--in which case a 1 year program may suffice-- or if you really want to gain research experience. I almost got talked into doing a 4 year PhD&Masters combined program when I toured my potential new lab.

Guest everyoneloveschem

I totally agree, you have to have the right reasons for grad school, otherwise it can be brutal. I almost started do an MSc, but I chose not to, and now I'm so glad I didn't. I'm having a better time taking a year (hopefully only a year!!) off, working two part-time jobs, learning lots, volunteering, etc. I'm also learning more probably. Why not try to get a job in a medical office, thats what I do for one of my part-time jobs, and even though its pretty menial work, I'm learning lots about how the system works and I get to see lots of different styles of doctors in action (I work with 9 GPs). At the same time, if you can see yourself pursuing the administrative side of med after an MD, why not do a short Masters. There are pros to each option.

I finished my Master's in January (after a dismal three years) and had to do something since then to make money and survive. I have been working in emerg and it has been the greatest experience in learning about practicing medicine, meeting MDs, and in learning about how both a hospital and health care system function. Although my job is menial and stressful, it has definitely been worth it. If you can get into that kind of job it may help you get into med school, if that's truly what you want. I am convinced it made all the difference for me in my interviews and essays!

Guest UofT Student
I have been working in emerg

Hey fox,

Would you mind telling us how you got that job in emerg? Were you volunteering there first, and then they decided to hire you? What responsibilities do you have with that job?

Thank you for your time.

Hey UofT Student

I volunteered in CT and Emerg each for about a year (starting April 2001). I applied for a few jobs last June when I initially thought I was going to be done school and ended up with a job in Admitting. It was just a casual position. Getting into a hospital is usually pretty difficult because of the union, so I partially got lucky. Casual/relief positions are easier to get because they will actually hire from outside for those positions. I worked in Admitting for the summer and then when I knew I was going to be done school for sure, I applied for about 30 jobs in the hospital (all full/part-time). I guess I got lucky again getting the part-time emerg job. Usually they like people to have a unit clerk course, but I didn't have that (and if anyone within the department applies they will get first dibs at the job), but I guess with a Master's they figured I could handle it! Our job is to make requistions for all the blood/urine/stool samples etc and req all X-rays, CT scans etc. Anything doctors or nurses need done, we do (calling for old charts, calling family members, paging docs from different services). The phone rings about 600-700 times a day (no exaggeration, it is the worst part of the job). We also sometimes arrange transport between medical facilities, put in bed request for admitted patients, order meal trays for the patients etc. Anyway, it is interesting (especially when traumas come in, we also activate the trauma team and sometimes end up in the trauma room while they are resuscitating etc.) and there is quite a bit of responsibility. I must admit it has been a great experience, even if it is very stressful at times.

Archived