Premed 101 Forums

Applying 3rd year and get interview = GPA going down?

Guest krnboy

Guest krnboy

If I apply to like 12 schools, 5 in Ontario, 2 different provinces in Canada, 5 in United States of America and get interview to almost all the schools, then I would have to skip many classes in my current university in order to do the interview at wherever.

I may miss tutorials or important lessons or handouts whihc may greatly affect me in exam.

Even more than that...if I don't get into medicine this year, then I would have to re-apply in my 4th year with a bad 3rd year grade...

I guess what I'm trying to ask is... would my marks go down significantly if I apply to med schools in my third year...by skipping classes due to interview, etc.. ?

Guest peachy

Hi Krnboy,

I thought biochem10's advice in the other thread was spot on. Worry about first year, and then worry about second year, and THEN worry about applying to medical school. Why would you possibly want to decide now whether to apply to medical school in third year? That's a really long time away. Maybe by the time you get to third year you won't want to be a doctor any more ... who knows?

peachy

Guest Lactic Folly

I think most US schools want you to have a degree first.

And yes, three years is a long time away.. what you can do now is thoroughly familiarize yourself with the requirements. Then you'll get a feeling for how ready you are. I'm not sure what the average number of applications is, but I doubt the majority of Canadians apply to over ten schools. In any case, you should get to know someone in your classes, and schedule Tuesday/Thursday..

Guest Lactic Folly

Will your grades go down? That's something you have to answer yourself.. some people can handle tons of extracurricular commitments and still get great grades, some people not so much. If this is a concern, remember you don't have to accept all twelve interviews ;) More seriously, you can schedule the more 'miss-able' classes in second term.

Guest peachy

Yeah, really. Some people go to class religiously, and can't cope if they have to miss stuff. Other people never attend class, and get great grades. Whether or not YOU will be able to handle missing school due to interviews is something that only YOU will be able to figure out, and probably not until you've at least spent a year at University.

Pretty much all of the Ontario universities schedule interviews on weekends, anyways, though. Applying is definitely a pain, and the work of a significant extracurricular activity.

Guest Hilde

Krnboy...you've got to let yourself breathe. You're not even in first year yet, enjoy university as it will come and go real fast. Don't stress yourself out too much over medical school.

Guest krnboy

once again thank you all for your great replies

hilde, yeah 3 years is a long time, but 5 years in hs flew by so fast... I figured that I should prepare myself...and besides, thinking about getting into med school is the only motivation I have for studying, volunteering and working right now...

That's the only reason I dedicated myself to studying hard in high school to get into univ of my choice.

heh...I'm still going to be socially active and hang out with my friends...

"study hard and play hard"

Guest artef

A philosophical question (rather than a moral judgement): Should an application to med school structure the way you live your life, or should the way you live your life bring about an application to med school?

Blaze your own trail... to see the secret of the journey as hidden, not as a means to an end, is to know yourself rather than the ideological projection of self. 8o

Guest Biochem10

Krnboy,

I'll just tell you from my experience that I had the most stressful year of my university career because of the application process...waiting around for interview letters and going to the interview made me feel stressed. Not only that, but I was waiting around for acceptance/rejection letters during my final exams which made it VERY hard to concentrate. Miraculously it didn't affect my grades at all, in fact, my highest GPA out of all of undergrad was this year!

Archived