Premed 101 Forums

good books on essay writing

Guest Chowchilla

Guest Chowchilla

hey everyone,

just wondering if you guys could suggest a list of GOOD books that actually help in improving writing skills and writing coherently.

i have a problem with writing essays in that i tend to ramble and digress from the point that i'm trying to make...much as i try not to.

umm.

so basically, i need a list of some essay writing books that you guys found helpful...

i've already got zinsser's on writing well, and the elements of style by strunk and white.

thanks,

chow =)

Guest UWOMED2005

The art of writing a good essay for the MCAT is actually very easy. Nothing fancy, remember you have to stay within the time constraints and you don't want have an essay when the buzzer goes! All they want is a standard, well though out essay in the format your OAC/gr 12 english teacher must have taught you:

Paragraph #1: Introductory paragraph. Introduce topic. Make Thesis statement. Roughly outline arguments to be made in support of thesis.

Paragraph #2: Introduce best supporting argument. Discuss this argument. To do really well, look at counterarguments to this argument and shoot them down. Concluding sentence as to why this argument is important and supports your thesis statement

Paragraph #3: Same as paragraph #2, but with the 2nd best argument.

Paragraph #4: Same as paragraph #2, but with the 3rd best argument. Always three arguments. . . for some reason there's something satisfying about that number. Check any Shakespeare play if you doubt me.

Paragraph #5 (optional, for bonus): Perhaps explore some alternate points of view to the subject, and discuss in relation to your thesis and why you still stand by your thesis

Paragraph #6: Conclusion. Tie everything together (arguments #1,2,3 and other perspectives) and conclude why your thesis is god.

Write the whole thing with good grammar, sentence structure, sentence variety, and spelling and I can guarantee you'll get at least a decent enough mark to make most of the school's cutoffs. If you have really good form and "see things from all perspectives" you'll probably do really well.

Guest peachy

Wow, UWOMED, that would make for one LONG mcat essay! At Princeton Review they gave us a much simpler formula - restate the question, give an argument for with one example, give an argument against with one example, and then conclude. :)

Guest UWOMED2005

Really? Hmm. Each of my paragraphs was pretty short (and I didn't go for the bonus paragraph #5,) I had no problem finishing the essays on time, and I was pretty happy withthe mark.

Archived