Premed 101 Forums

Biochemistry Preresiquites And Mcat

Sigmund Freud

Hi all!

I'm in my second year of an honours degree and have to take 3.0 credits in prerequisites over the next few years (full year in each of: English, Biochemistry, Anatomy and Physiology), and would prefer to take them over my final 2 summers if I can.

It'd be very difficult to do all 3 of these at the same time, so I was thinking about taking one course this summer and then the other two next summer. 

The plan is to write the MCAT this summer (probably around late July or early August), and since the MCAT now has a significant amount of biochemistry (according to the AAMC: ~25% of both science sections), I was thinking I could kill two birds with one stone by taking an online biochemistry course. The course I was thinking about taking is "SCS2472 - Biochemistry with a Medical Perspective."

I'm not sure what my summer looks like in terms of employment, but I probably won't be able to secure a job as there are none back home. 

I also know what my strengths and weaknesses are on the new MCAT as I took a mock exam through the Princeton Review. I didn't study or prepare for it at all because I wanted to figure out my baseline scores. Overall, I did really well in the social sciences section, decent in CARS, and bad in both science sections. I know I did poorly in the science sections because they're the sections that I'll actually have to study for (because there's a lot of background knowledge that one would need to remember IMO) and I also didn't care too much about these sections, so I just winged it. :P

One thing that worries me is that the biochemistry class and my exams both start on April 13th, and my exams end on April 23rd, while my first biochemistry quiz is on the 27th. Also, the final exam is on July 25th, which is around the time that I'd be writing the MCAT (give or take a few weeks).

So I guess I'm wondering if this is a smart plan or if it'd be too much work? I do already understand basic biochemistry as I've taken a second year course in cellular biochemistry towards my degree. 

Also, if anyone has any insight on the course or how to study for the science sections of the MCAT, it'd be much appreciated! I've already looked around the forum and found some helpful information on these.

Thanks all! Take care!

Archived