Premed 101 Forums

General Mcat Questions - Mostly About Review Companies

Sigmund Freud

Hi all! I hope you're doing well!

I'm planning to write the MCAT this summer and just have a few questions regarding study materials.

My main plan is to purchase the EK set for the new MCAT because I heard EK is generally an easier read than the other major companies. And I belive I heard/read that they teach you more MCAT strategies and generally how to approach the questions. Could anyone confirm these?

In terms of drawbacks, I heard that EK was lacking in the amount of content review that it has compared to TPR. If someone could confirm this as well, I'd really appreciate it! If this is the case, then I think I might buy the EK set and then get single books from TPR for whatever sections I'm struggling with. For example, I know I'll be fine with social sciences, so a light review of concepts is all that's needed, where with biochemistry (and maybe chemistry + biology) I may need the extra in-depth resorce. Does this sound like a decent plan?

Also, I asked the following question a few days ago, but no one replied, so I'll ask this again in short. Basically, I was wondering if it'd be doable to study for the MCAT and take "Biochemistry with a Medical Perspective" through UofT? And if I was wondering if taking that biochemistry class would be advantageous to take now since it would be fresh in my mind for the MCAT? (However, I'm not sure what summer employment looks like quite yet).

I also heard that TPR mocks are harder than the real deal. Is this also true as a general consensus?

And lastly, does anyone know of any good resources for learning how to speed read?

(Note: I know I could have done a search for this info, which I have been doing periodically, but I'd prefer some up to date info for the new MCAT and just some current thoughts).

Thank you so much! And for you undergrads, or anyone out there, that have final exams coming up and final assignments due, remember to take care of yourselves!

Well remember, this MCAT is less so about memorization than the previous MCAT, and more so about interpretation and making conclusions from the passages, or so I am lead to believe. Sure there are some stand alone questions but I do not foresee them finding the most micro thing they can find to ask of you. We will see come April when people start writing this thing. I am curious to see the EK package as well, once it comes in.

Edit: Yeah so it's more about understanding the big picture and concepts, than the nuances that was previously expected of us 

1. They reflect current research about the most effective ways for students to learn and use science, emphasizing deep knowledge of the most important scientific concepts over knowledge simply of many discrete scientific facts 

Archived