Premed 101 Forums

Mcat Prep Advice

swatch1014

Hey Guys, so as the title says, I was looking for advice on my MCAT prep. and if my studying plan seems efficent.

Just a little background info. about me. I have a degree that a completed last year and this year I went back to school on a part-time basis. I also work full-time, out of necessity, and am currently studying for the MCAT. I want to hopefully write the test in July. I've written the old test, about 3 years ago, and did very,very bad, but understandably cause I did not study well and did barely any practice passages. I just re-read chapters and made notes-pretty much studied the way I would have for any undergrad class. I did about 4-5 timed practiced tests within 2-3 weeks leading up to the test. I ended up getting a 19, with verbal being my highest mark (a 7 :/). I know what my mistakes were last time and I am trying to change that this time around. Also during my UG, I did pretty poorly during my first two years, but brought my marks up the last two years, to about a 3.7-3.8 (haven't calculated exactly). These grades are not the best when it comes to applying to Med School, which is why I want to do very well on my MCAT.

I started studying for the MCAT in Feb and I bought the TPR review books. Since its been a while since I've taken my UG science classes, I'm pretty rusty on these subjects. Since i started studying, I've just been reading through a chapter per topic and completeing the questions at the end of each section. When it comes to the passage at the end of the chapter, I usually get 1-2 questions wrong, with the occasional, but rare, perfect passage. Once i finish reading all the chapters (hopefully by mid-May) I think I'll focus solely on doing any type of practice questions I can get my hands on and review my content that way, and go through the Khan Academy videos online to brush up on concepts I'm weak at. Ideally, by mid June, I want to start doing the practice tests. Since the test got completely revamped, I have limited number of practice tests.

Because I work full-time, I try and study after work. However, I find I'm extremely slow at getting through the chapters. It takes about two days sometimes to get through a chapter. And On the rare days I have off, it takes about 7-8 hours getting through a Chapter. Am I bogging myself down to much in the details? Also, how can I prevent forgetting things I learned 2 weeks ago? IS there anything that works for you guys?

My question now is how should I go about studying for the test? Is my plan decent? Or what should I change about my studying so far?

Sorry for the long post, but I'd appriciate any advice and thank you for reading!!

Archived