Premed 101 Forums

Advice for finding medical lab experience

Guest red

Hey everyone- I've been looking for a med research lab position in Vancouver to beef up my application for those schools that tend to like that sort of experience (and plus I REALLY am stoked on getting a job like that anyway out of pure interest-REALLY!). But, because I have a Masters, everyone I approach wants me to start a PhD with them- not hire me just as a research assistant. Unfortunately, I've heard med schools won't accept you if you haven't finished a PhD- so I can't start one and then just quit for medicine if I get in- and I even phoned and asked admissions to be sure. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can talk a potential PhD supervisor to let me work for a year and then potentially start a PhD next September? (You see- if I don't get into med by next September, I'm seriously considering the PhD route and research as my career instead anyway) Too bad these super positions are coming up now and not a year from now! I don't want to give up on med yet! Arrghhh- all I wanted was practical experience at this point and not another research degree!!!! Those lucky people who landed temp/casual lab positions or the like- how did you do it? Did you mention an interest in med school or avoid that issue all together?

Any suggestions would be SO much appreciated!:rollin

Red

At U of A there is a website for all job postings on campus (through human resources). I would assume UBC has the same thing. All tech positions are posted, which is what I assume you'd be looking for since you have a Masters. If you apply for actual jobs then they might not bug you as much about pursuing a PhD.

Guest UTMed07

red:

Did a publication come out of your master's?

If you don't have one talk to your master's supervisor about writing a paper about your work (if there is something publishable).

In any case, talk to your master's supervisor--they may have something for you to do.

Archived