Premed 101 Forums

Gen Surg Elective Experiences

I did two way back when before I decided I didn't want to do surgery (or, rather, realized I didn't care enough about it to make the commitment). 

Sunnybrook: The Surg Onc services can be kinda slow, but the ACCESS (acute, critical, emergency) service is busy and you see a lot of interesting stuff. The same goes for the Trauma service. HPB might be interesting. The main positive for a rotation at Sunnybrook is the call - expect to be able to go down to traumas at least once each night and often more. 

Dal: Most services have reasonable volume and there are usually plenty of clinics to go to. Call is a very good experience; similar to Sunnybrook you see tons of acute service and will probably be around for traumas. It's common for there to be ORs overnight. Residents are very good at ensuring you have a good experience as an elective student. Service E is probably the best experience, as it covers all the acute/emerg patients. You could probably arrange to go to clinic to work more directly with staff too. 

Archived