Premed 101 Forums

Kirsteen did you apply during year 1 of your Master's

Guest Jazzey

Guest Jazzey

Hi,

I noticed that you were entering your 2nd year of your Master's. If you wouldn't mind me asking, I'm wondering if you had tried to apply during your 1st year? I'll be starting a 2 year Master's in September, and I would like to try applying to med school with the justification that admission is competitive and there is no guarantee of receiving an interview every year. If I were accepted, I would defer the acceptance for one year. I don't know how med schools would see this, however. If they asked about it during the interview and I stated that I was planning to defer admission, would that send me to the bottom of the waitlist because they would prefer people who would enter the class immediately upon acceptance?

I'd really appreciater your input on my situation!

Thanks.

Guest Ollie

Hi,

I'm not Kirsteen but I thought that I would respond. There are some schools that will not let you defer to finish another degree, and explicitly state this in their application info. UBC is one of these schools and I think UWO as well. The schools that do allow deferalls to complete a degree, I think it is intended more for people who thought that they would be finished on time, but for whatever reason didn't manage. I would check out the policies for the schools you're interested in.

Good luck in your Masters. I'm nearing the end of mine! (yay!)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Jazzey,

I did apply during my first year of a (traditionally) 2 years M.Sc. program, however, I was originally aiming to complete the M.Sc. within one year. (Given that I found out fairly early that med school would not be happening in Sept. 2003, I was "permitted" a little extra time to complete the degree and add some related activities to enrich the experience.)

As to whether schools view an applicant during the first of a two year degree differently, I believe that some do. There are some schools that go as far as requesting that you admit your intention to defer when you submit your application--UBC being one. Sorry that I cannot be more specific, but it's one of those situations where it's best to check out each school's individual policy on the matter--there's no quick answer to this!

Good luck!

Kirsteen

Archived