Premed 101 Forums

Extra Curriculua?

Guest EMHC

To those who are in med school or applying

From reading a number of threads about EC's, EC's seem to be a very important component in getting admitted, as well as a high GPA and good MCAT scores.

Would you mind sharing what sort of EC's you did during undergrad and or beyond? I current volunteer at the hospital (done that for 2 years now), going to be a MUG leader (leading a bunch of 1st years on the first day of uni.), and an active member of a few clubs. Any suggestions on how I can improve my EC's?

EMHC

Guest mying

What's been said in many other similar threads (seriously, do a search, plenty will come up) is very very true.

It's not what you do but what you gain by doing it. Whether it's paid or not is only a tiny part -- while certainly admissions committees may choose to interpret "volunteer" vs "paid" as more truly altruistic, we don't all have the liberty to volunteer hours and hours if we've got bills to pay, and they know that.

What remains is the meat -- what did you learn from whatever it was you were doing? Did you learn teamwork, communication, and efficiency while working at Tim Horton's? Did you learn how to comfort an elderly woman who'd had her first stroke while volunteering at a first aid post? Did you learn how to manage your time and stay organized running a small business or charity? Did sports teach you to persevere? Did you learn how every little thing you say might be the thing that changes someone's life while working with children (big brothers/sisters, guides, scouts, cadets, day care)? Did you gain insight into the real lives of people with disabilities or chronic illnesses while working, paid or volunteer, with a support agency?

Since I tended to spend a lot more time volunteering or doing extra-curricular things than I really should have throughout undergrad, I had a list that extended well beyond the confines of the OMSAS autobiographical sketch. I had to pick and choose those experiences that had really shaped me and changed me, and those which had guided me towards medicine. Before I put any of them down, I carefully considered it and asked myself: what did I really learn from this that they would really care to know about?

So in choosing further extra-curriculars, you might just explore further areas within the areas you are already involved -- take on leadership, for example. Or, if you know there are areas you would like to challenge yourself in, seek out those activities that provide those challenges and new experiences while captivating your interest.

I agree with Lakers4life. Doing things that interest you will make you a more well-rounded person and will give you more things to talk about in your interviews. I, personally, am involved in sports and have been for years, so I got into coaching girls's soccer for some fun, and some leadership experience. I also did research, music, etc. But, as has been said many times before, don't do stuff just to look good because the adcoms can see right through padding your resume. If I were on the committee, I would look for commitment rather than a scattering of many activities.

hi all

My volunteering job at the hospital is highly patient-interaction oriented. As far as clubs are concerned, I'm on a couple of committees and I do actively participate in decision making and the like.

Would anybody here consider mentoring students in 1st or 2nd year? That being said, I'm not doing it to pad my resume, I'm doing it cause I really want to help and guide those who will eventually walk through the steps I've walked through.

Suggestions?

EMHC

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LIPOSUCTIONATOR

Here's my theory in regards to ECs and OMSAS schools

They are a crucial part of getting an interview at Ottawa (hence the detailed autobiographical sketch)

They are also crucial in getting an interview at U of T (unless of course your research experience and GPA are outstanding, as an extreme example, I doubt U of T would reject an applicant who was on the verge of finding a cure for AIDS even if he/she spend all his undergrad years in a library)

They may not even be necessary for Mac??????

For Queens and Western, schools at which you can be granted an interview solely based on academic criteria, they play a huge factor in determining whether you get accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. (unless of course these med schools are willing to accept someone who is very well spoken and can give intelligent sounding answers to ethical questions BUT spend all his/her undergrad years in a library)

Just my 2 cents

Archived