Premed 101 Forums

Research job, clinical job, volunteering, ...

Guest krnboy

Guest krnboy

I have gotten a pretty good research job that I like for the summer.

Just out of curiosity, do the med schools care that you do all these extracurricular activities when making their decision?

Someone told me that for admission decision:

GPA 25%

MCAT 25%

Interview 50%

where's the extracurricular activities?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there krnboy,

There are different components to each of the Canadian medical schools' assessment strategies. Some of the schools tell you exactly what these assessments are composed of and others do not. In order to get a better idea of what each school favours in their applicants, you'd be wise to have a look at their individual web pages, posted at the top of this web site's school-specific pages.

As to whether or not extracurricular activities make a difference in the evaluation process, in most cases they do. That difference may be as tangible as earning you certain points in a very structured assessment, or less so where the activities may simply serve as giving you a little more to chat about and share some commonality with your interviewers.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest medicator007

Krnboy,

As Kirsteen said, the EC's give you something to talk about in both ur application letter and your interview. I found that the bulk of interview centered on my volunteer and professional work and so having many such experiences enabled me to better elaborate on it. While some schools are more overt in actually assigning a score to it, as Kirsteen mentioned, there is no doubt that at all schools it plays a role.

Medicator007

Guest TimmyMax

Hey krnboy,

The admissions formula you quoted is that belonging to the University of Western Ontario medical school. This formula is specific to UWO, and is not the same as other schools' final evaluations. Check the respective websites of the other medical schools if you are interested in the breakdown of their final admissions criteria.

Best of luck!

Timmy

P.S.: For UWO, an applicant's ECs are not assigned a separate score per se, but they will and should form the basis for a significant part of the interview

Guest krnboy

haha thanks OT6 :)

TimmyMax, thanks, I'll check out websites of other med schools for the breakdown of their final admissions criteria.

:)

Archived