Premed 101 Forums

Aboriginal Applicants

Guest hringrose

Guest hringrose

Does anyone know which schools give special consideration to aboriginal applicants... I know Queen's does but are there others? Also, does anyone know if it is only for status Indians or if it is for non-status Indians.

Thanks

Guest adlinner

Hringrose,

This is all the info I can find about special consideration/reserved seating for aboriginal applicants. I'm not sure how how they will define aboringinal although on the OMSAS application it will have a checkbox for you to declare your Indian status. The medical schools not mentioned here did not have info on how they treat aboriginal applicants. Good luck with it!

yours

adlinner

mac

Aboriginal/native applicants have to meet all requirements but the applications are reviewed by a special committee. There are two specific categories — “Special Applicants” and “International Pool” — and each category has specific criteria which must be met in order to qualify (see web-site for details).

UWO

3 positions available to Aboriginal/native applicants

queens'

3 positions available to Aboriginal/native applicants

ManitobaU

85 seats PLUS additional positions are available for Aboriginal/native applicants.

U of Sask

3 seats were filled Aboriginal/native students.

U of Alberta

An additional 3 positions available only to Aboriginal/native applicants were filled.

Guest walkorbike

Hello, hringrose,

Don't forget about UBC, which has an applications stream which is inclusive to status- and non-status Aboriginal peoples. I would urge you to get in touch with the Aboriginal Admissions Coordinator there. In general, I would say, check out the various universities' policies soon and get in touch with the Admissions coordinators as there are often steps which take a while to go through (letters from your community in support of your application, a relevant essay, etc). But it seems like you are on top of things by posing this question! Good luck! -walkorbike.

Guest therealcrackers

At Western, there are 3 seats available to qualified aboriginal applicants. The interview process is the same format, but modified slightly to reflect the applicant's personal and cultural history. Sadly, until recently the seats have rarely been filled...

Guest aneliz

The three aboriginal seats at UWO go to people who have 'legitimate first nations heritage'...

The process works like this:

1. First nations applicants must meet the same academic/MCAT standards as the regular applicant pool

2. If you meet these standards, you will be invited for an interview.

3. Your interview will follow the same format as everybody else...however, they attempt to find at least one interviewer of first nations heritage to be part of your group of interviewers.

4. You will then compete only against other first nations applicants in the final selection process. ie only the first nations candidates interviewed will be in competition for the three reserved spots.

So a theoretical application process would go something like this:

1. 50 first nations students apply

2. 20 are invited for interview based on academics/MCAT

3. After interview, the GPA, MCAT and interview scores are combined to get an overall score

4. The 20 interviewed students are ranked in order

5. Top three first nations students will receive an offer regardless of whether they fall in the top 133 of the overall pool due to the existence of three reserved first nations seats.

Guest ManitobaMed

Hi there,

As far as I know, for the U of M, special consideration is granted only for Manitoba residents. Aboriginal applicants who are Manitoba residents can apply for both special and regular category admissions. If MCAT/AGPA scores are high enough for the two categories, they can be interviewed in, and considered for, both. The special category is reserved for Aboriginal, military, and health care applicants and puts more weight on non-academic qualifications, and the minima for AGPA and MCAT scores are slightly lower than in the regular category.

Guest dogeatdog12

I just wanted to say I am really glad there are seats given specially to first nation's applicants. This should be done more frequently in more fields.

Archived