Premed 101 Forums

Retaking Mcat And Will Cognitive Science Count As A "science" Letter

Hi guys ,

I took the old MCAT earlier this year and got a bad score .So I will be applying to mid and low tier American M.D schools this cycle , but my testdate is in June. I have read this elsewhere that you can apply to a school that is a long shot with the oldscore and get verified. Then when you get the newscore apply to the schools you have a fair shot at. true ? or is it possible to get verified without the mcat scores at all ?

Next , I will be using a recommendation letter from an introductory cognitive science prof to fill one of the science letter requirements. I didn't realize that this could be an issue b/c the discipline has science in its name ..lol and the course was heavy on science (I have attached a list of topics covered in the attached file). I am still waiting to hearback from the schools I emailed detailing the course and its topics. Can anyone else weigh on this ? 

Much appreciated 

Cog100.txt

Your MCAT is not and don't need verify by AMCAS. All American MD schools read and access your MCAT scores and status from AAMC once you submitted your AMCAS application.

AMCAS did these things

- accept your primary application and forward to MD schools you Applied

- accept your reference letters and forward to MD schools you choose to (so each school can get different letters)

- accept your transcripts and converted to AMCAS 4.0 GPA for MD schools you applied

BTW, reference letters are NOT verified, you can submit application first and upload reference letters later.

I remembered I started AMCAS in last July, submitted primary AMCAS application in the first week August, completed each school's Secretary applications in August/September and verified by AMCAS late in September. In October, one MD school asked me to upload another science professor. so after submitted AMCAS application, verified by AMCAS, you actually still can add MD schools onto your application, you still can upload reference letters and assigned to schools you choosing.

Archived