Premed 101 Forums

Any nurses out there??

Guest Lorae

Guest Lorae

So how many of you are nurses pursuing medicine??

I have 4 years of ICU work experience, through which I was taking prerequisite courses, and am now preparing my applications (for 2004) and studying for the August MCAT.

I'd love to chat with other nurses who are doing the same thing - offer each other advice/morale support.... Hearing from some successful applicants would be great too....

One of the problems I'm running into (with my applications) is that there are a lot of examples from my work as a nurse (compassion, critical thinking, clinical skills/decision making, team work, ethical reasoning) etc, etc... I am worried that if I sell these abilities and skills "too hard" the admissions committee might find themselves saying "hmmm... sounds like she should *stay* in nursing....". So I'm trying to say "As I nurse I've learned W, X, Y, Z skills and I will be able to expand and apply them to medicine because......" Cross your fingers and hope it works! :\

Anyway - it would be great to hear the experiences of other nurses on this path!

Guest madricka

Hi! :)

While I'm not an actual nurse yet, I am in nursing school (Ryerson) working on my 2nd degree (1st degree was a BA in sociology). You're right, there are a lot of examples you could draw from experience. I think the more you can use those examples to illustrate why you want to be a doctor more than a nurse, the better. i.e. like you said, "I think my nursing skills would be better utilized in medicine because...". That's the approach I'm going for.

And whatever you do, don't put nursing down as a profession. Not that you would do that but I've heard a lot of horror stories about nurses who absolutely hate their jobs, which to me is kinda sad & scary.

Either way, it's nice to see another nurse in here. :)

-- tina

Guest Lorae

No, I'd never put nursing down :D

In fact I will always say that I don't regret doing nursing first. I've thought it out and if asked during an interview I have no problems saying that there are things about nursing that I will miss. It's an important part of my (soon to be past?) life that has helped shape who I am... and the doctor I will be come...

Guest shelleyrn

Hey Lorae,

I have been a nurse for 17 years (yikes, where did the time go!)...my experiences are in med/surg, northern nursing and public health. I was accepted this year to Mac, and I am over the moon to say the least!

There are 2 other nurses (that I know of) who were accepted to Mac this year as well, and their backgrounds are in Emerg and varied experiences such as myself.

Good luck with your plans----Shelley

Guest turtle

Hi...I am not a nurse, but am very curious to hear from all of you what your reasons have been to want to pursue medicine instead of nursing. I know that the question often comes up in interviews, Why do you want to be a doctor? Why not a nurse? (or some other healthcare profession) I can come up with reasons for preferring medicine over occupational/physical therapy etc., but I'm finding it harder to justify why not nursing. It seems to me that many of the qualities that attract me to medicine could also be found in nursing. Seeing as I have never been a nurse (or a doctor) though, maybe I'm just not sensitive to the subtle (or maybe they're not so subtle!) differences.

Guest madricka

I can't speak from the true experience of nursing, as I am merely a nursing student. BUT my original intent was medicine. I earned a BA in sociology, applied to McMaster twice -- was rejected both times. In an attempt to create a workable backup plan & increase my gpa, I decided to go into nursing. It was NOT what I expected. Never in my life have I loved & hated something so much! I feel that nursing really does change you. You have to be a special kind of person to really love it. It's tough. If you don't truly love people, don't even think about nursing. It's an unconditional kind of love.

One bonus for nurses -- you are closer to your patients than you would be as a physician. So if you would prefer being able to spend more quality time with your patients, be a nurse. It's really what is best for you, your personality, what makes you feel good about your work, etc.

So why am I applying to med school again? Because, as fulfilling as nursing is, it's not quite enough for me. I need to be pushed further, I want to know more, I want to do more. If I am never accepted into medicine, I won't give up nursing. Nor will I regret going into nursing. But I think I'd be happier in medicine. It's a subtle distinction, but you know what is right for you. Does that make any sense?

-- tina

Guest jmh2005

It makes total sense, don't doubt yourself!!

Although I was not a nurse, I was an Occupational Therapist and despite enjoying my profession, I felt very limited by my scope of practice. I wanted to provide something more to my patients (but now in retrospect, it really was not necessarily something more, but rather something different that I wanted to provide).

I too, don't regret choosing OT to start with because really being an OT has helped to shape me into who I am today..if anything I think former health care professionals who study medicine turn into to very wholist, caring practitioners which much to offer their patients due to their enhanced knowledge and insight into health care in general! I think this is very advantageous for the patient and not in fact detrimental to your application. You just need to convey that you enjoy what you do and that you have learned much from it, but it will only enhanse your study and practice of medicine. You need to elabourate on what it is that you are missing...

I also wanted to learn more about the body, mind and human spirit. Now I may not spend as much time with my patients as I did in my former life as an OT, I'm actually happy with that. I get to meet more people (maybe not as well now...) in a variety of situations, not just post-injury, post-illness, etc...now I have opportunities to maintain and promote health, which I felt I was lacking before in my previous career.

Pursuing medicine was the right decision for me and now that I'm on my way to becoming a Physician I honestly couldn't be happier. If it is what you know you want (and it sounds like you do!!)...go after it with all your heart!!

Guest NurseEpi

Yes!! I am a nurse with several years experience in both pediatric critical care and public health. I recently finished my MSc in Epidemiology and Biostatistics and am planning to apply to medicine this fall. I will likely only apply to McMaster this year because I haven't written the MCAT since 1995 and I don't have a full-year of organic chem or biochem (one half year in both but U Ottawa won't combine them into one full year of chemistry). I'm also a little bit older (29) and I think Mac is likely my best option.

But it certainly would be nice to chat with other nurses applying to medical school. I still haven't been able to formulate a very concise answer to the "why medicine and not nursing" question because it just seems so obvious to me why medicine would be a better choice but I'm sure the topic will come up.

Best of luck to all of you!

Guest turtle
I still haven't been able to formulate a very concise answer to the "why medicine and not nursing" question because it just seems so obvious to me why medicine would be a better choice

It is not so obvious to me!! :eek (But like i said, have never studied nursing or been a nurse.) I would love to hear your elaboration...no matter how un-concise!

:rollin

Guest shelleyrn

Hi there! "A bit older....." hmmm.....I will be 37 this year and life could never be better!! I begin at Mac this year....

With your background, you should MOST definitely apply!

If you would like to chat, you could contact me via email: shelleyrn@shaw.ca

Cheers, Shelley

Guest NurseEpi

Sorry..I didn't mean to imply that 29 was old, just that I feel a little bit older than the average undergrad applying from their 3rd or 4th year. I read a quote once that said, "You are never too old to become that which you might have been" and I firmly believe that it is never too late to pursue your dreams.

Where are people applying to this fall? From what I've heard, McMaster seems to look favourably upon nurses and individuals who have decided to enter medicine from other fields. And are there any other nurses out there who have applied and been accepted to medical school who could offer their advice?

Thanks!

Guest michca
I don't have a full-year of organic chem or biochem (one half year in both but U Ottawa won't combine them into one full year of chemistry).

NurseEpi: Have you checked with Ottawa admissions on this? I e-mailed them recently to ask whether 1 year of general chemistry (with lab), along with a 1/2 yr of orgo (with lab), and and 1/2 year of biochem would satisfy their requirements, and Nicole Racine replied, saying that it would. So, maybe you shouldn't count Ottawa out yet. At least double check my findings. Hope that helps! :D

Guest NurseEpi

Thanks a lot! I'll check on that right away. I had emailed admissions at U of O last year or the year before with exactly the same question and they told me that no, they wouldn't count that combination. But I'll see if they've changed their tune!

Archived