Premed 101 Forums

six courses this fall...or not?

Guest Chowchilla

Guest Chowchilla

i've enrolled in six courses this fall (going into 2nd year).

5 of them are 2nd year courses, and the remaining one is a 1st year course.

does this somehow affect the way medschools look at my course load or marks?

also, this question is for those who're at uoft, or have been at uoft: one of the aforementioned courses is a 299y project. that's why i'm taking six...do i need to? will the workload be tolerable, or will i most likely get burned out instead?

thanks for helping me out.

Guest turtle

When I was in my 3rd year, I took 6 courses all year...two of them were half-credit lab courses that ran for the full year. (Who came up with that idea?) Despite the fact that they were half-credit courses, the workload was still pretty significant since there was always preparation before the labs & formal reports after. That could be comparable to doing the 299y (I didn't do one, so can't say) plus 5 regular courses, which means it can be done...but, then again, if your 299y supervisor expects a lot from you, or if you expect a lot from yourself, that might be overdoing it...and then your performance in all your courses might suffer for it. Why do you want to do 6? Which ones were you planning on taking? And, no, you definitely do not need to...5 credits is enough.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Chowchilla,

Like turtle alluded to, the 299Y courseload depends on your supervisor's expectations. I took a 299Y a few years back and the time required in the lab was fairly significant (at least one full day per week). On the positive side though, the experience itself can be rewarding. Have you considered eliminating one of the other non-299Y courses in lieu of the 299Y, or do you need all of them to complete your program? If you need the first year course to complete a given requirement, e.g., English for medical school, then there is always the option of completing that course next summer, if it's offered (and 100-series courses do tend to be more ubiquitous than second or third year courses during the summers).

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived