Premed 101 Forums

Desperately seeking: Advice Please

Guest Jessy212121

Guest Jessy212121

Hi everyone.. I stumbled onto this page the other night... Im hoping theres someone out there that can give me some advice or encouragement about getting into med school..

I dont have a very high GPA -- the cumulative is around 72% (my achilles tendon is exam anxiety)-- but i do have tons of research experience from some of the ivy schools in the US and labs here in Canada. Im in a masters program right now (engineering) but my heart has always been set on doing med school. My GPA is whats holding me back from applying... I know.. "if you dont apply then you will never know" or "youve got nothing to loose by applying"... but when it comes down to it I keep asking myself "am I just setting myself up for dissapointmenT"??

Is there anyone out there that had a low GPA like mine that got into medicine somewhere in north america? Can a great MCAT score and extra cirriculars outweigh the GPA??

Is there anything I can do to better my chances?

ANY:( advice would be appreciated,

Thank you,

Sleepless girl.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

There is hope. :) You might want to take a look at some of the schools that are sympathetic to graduate students. Ottawa U. for example, will give you a good shot if you have an undergrad average of at least 3.3, have maintained an A-average in your graduate courses and have evidence of healthy graduate productivity. Calgary might also be an option for you, as they place emphasis on MCAT performance and your best two years' averages.

If US education is an option for you then there are options there too, e.g., undertaking a one-year post-Baccalaureate program, which, in conjunction with your graduate work may help to improve your chances.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UTMed07
I know.. "if you dont apply then you will never know" or "youve got nothing to loose by applying"... but when it comes down to it I keep asking myself "am I just setting myself up for dissapointmenT"??
You shouldn't give-up on your dream because you're afraid of failing.

Is there anyone out there that had a low GPA like mine that got into medicine somewhere in north america?
American schools are more friendly to people with lower GPAs (especially if the MCAT is good). Also, I have the impression they value engineering students more than the Canadian schools. Those things said, don't dismiss Canadian schools; they are generally cheaper and they are in Canada--IMHO Canada is a much better place to live. :D U of T is worth a good look; they like graduates & research and with a 72% you probably meet the GPA requirement of 3.0 (see the "Graduate Studies" section). I think you ought to apply there.

If you're looking for a listing of GPA/MCAT scores I can recommend Ferdinand's guide:

Ferdinand, Brett L., Lalonde, Mia, "The Black Book on Canadian Medical Schools", RuveneCo Inc., Montreal, 2001. ISBN: 0-9696863-2-3

Also, I'd suggest you read the low GPA threads in the FAQ guide, if you're haven't done so already.

Guest Danish

Hi,

Also remember schools like Western and Queen's that look at your best two years. My GPA in first year was really really low (63%) but since they only looked at my best two years, it wasn't an issue (I was accepted by both schools this year). You may want to do some more undergrad courses to push up your GPA to make their cutoffs. Goodluck!! ;)

Archived