Premed 101 Forums

double major in Art and Sci

Guest purine5

Guest purine5

Today was my first course enrolling day at UT

(gosh~~ i began to dislike UT, the computer server

was always busy).

Since there's no desirable degree" for med school

I decided to do major in (East Asian Study and Life Sci Maj)

So here we go..

Do u think it's possible to get pre-med requirements while I am doing double major in ARTS and Science in UT?

I've read FAQ but that was "Business and Science" double major case.

Exactly How many courses are required for pre-med?

and what courses are they... 15 full credits I am not

quite familiar with the system :(

I am kinda afraid if I made good choice.:o

:)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi purine5,

The course requirements for each medical school's admissions process tend to differ. For example, organic chemistry is pretty much a given, and biology is too. Some other schools require English, biochemistry, general chemistry (i.e., not organic) and U. Alberta requires statistics. Your best bet is to check each school's webpage individually. The OMSAS site contains a chart that lists the requirements of the five Ontario medical schools, so that should save a little investigative time.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UWOMED2005

I'm pretty (practically 100%) sure you can still get all the prereqs doing a double arts-sci major or combined honours degree. Don't forget many of the prereqs are required courses for a program like Human Bio, Biology or Biochem.

Furthermore, reflecting back I personally wish I'd studied a combined honours/dbl major in arts-sci, instead of the sci-sci combined honours I did do (biochem-micro). There were a lot of interesting Arts courses I wish I could have taken, and the biochem and micro combo resulted in a lot of redundancy. . . compounded further by the fact I covered some of the subjects in 1st year med school, meaning I covered some topics THREE TIMES.

Sound like an interesting double major.

Guest mindteaser

I think that is an excellent choice.

It is always good to pursue the areas that interest you as opposed to doing it to simply improve your chances to get into med school. And yes, you can satisfy your requirements for med school while doing a double major. I will be returning this september to UofT under a life sci and sociology double major and I am almost finished all of my life science requirements and prerequisites for med school. I believe the life science major gave me the most flexibility for my requirements because I was able to take a course in each of the following areas: hmb,psl,bio,chem and bch without worries about restrictions.

Additionally, most major at UofT are only 8 credits, so you would still have four electives left to take anything else you like. I chose to take NSF284H (nutritional science),ANT204Y (anthropology) and PSL281Y(bioethics). If you prefer to do concentrate on another area with these four credits, you can also consider doing a minor. One of my friends did one in health economics. She basically took ECO100Y,200Y, and two additional economics courses, one of which was about the economics of resource distribution in the health care system.

Hope that helps:)

Guest seedstrike

Hey,

I think it's an excellent idea because it allows you take classes from multiple disciplines. Good for personal growth and exposure to other fields that you may even like more than medicine (not highly likely ;) ).

Also keep in mind that you need to maintain a high GPA to meet many school's cut offs. So you will have to plan each year carefully as not to overload your schedule or take too many hard classes in one semester. Many people i know are inclined towards one subject (i.e. they do well either in the arts or sciences). All I am saying is keep in mind your strengths when you make your final decision because whatever anybody else says, GPA can be the end all.

Guest purine5

thanx:)

I kinda regret I found this site after I got accepted to university.

:D

btw,

The OMSAS site contains a chart that lists the requirements of the five Ontario medical schools, so that should save a little investigative time.

>> where I can find this chart that has requirements of the 5 Ontario medical school?

Archived