Premed 101 Forums

Top 10 premed schools and medical schools

Guest Ibraheem

Guest Ibraheem

I'd like to know the ten best universities/colleges for their pre-med program. Included would be information as to the students' acceptance rate to medical schools.

Please include:

-cost of the university

-type of criteria

Edited the title to get rid of the all-caps and the big fonts; it's tough to read. Thx! -Ian

PS: As an aside, there's been lots of previous posts about this, and there's never been an official list that's been compiled of the above by the universities.

Guest bruhaha

. . . but I mighta as well be first. Ibraheem, there's no such thing as a pre-med program and where you went to undergrad is really not an issue for adcoms. In fact the MSAR notes that humanities majors have the highest acceptance rates (philosophy, then history, then literature). Not that artsies neccessarily make better doctors, it may just be that fewer unqualified artsies apply.

Or suppose that school X had a 95% acceptance rate, that might mean that they only accept more qualified individuals who have better chances of getting in, not that any particualr person's chance of admission will be influenced by attending (and lets face it we all only care about one particular person, ourselves)

Ergo, I really think you're going about this the wrong way. Apply to universities that are personally appealing, with strong programs in whatever it is that you're interested in.

cheers,

bruhaha

P.S. most pre-med programs, in my opinion, are total shams designed to attract people to university X. They're just a set of biology and chemistry courses cobbled together leaving no real depth in anything and no job prospects if you decide not/fail to get into medical school.

Guest Ian Wong

The MSAR is a comprehensive publication by the AAMC (Association of American Medical Colleges) describing many of the admission requirements and admission statistics for North American medical schools (both Canadian and US).

You may be able to find copies of them in your university library, or if not, they can be ordered online here:

www.aamc.org/publications/ar04.htm

Ian

Archived