Premed 101 Forums

International Reference

Guest JimmyDragon

Guest JimmyDragon

Ive volunteered @ a hospital in a different country for several summers....what would i have to do to use a reference letter from that doctor?just translate it??

oh and what should i aim for as a secure average of all my courses to get into a canadian medical school?

Guest DrSahsi

Which country?

If the medical school is unable to read the reference letter, I don't imagine it will do you much good. Just as much is derived from the choice of words in the letter as is from its source.

- Rupinder

You should probably check directly with OMSAS and/or the schools in question. Some schools may be a bit hesitant to accept a translated letter...because if they can't read the original, they have no idea if the letter has been translated accurately. And if you are the one doing the translating, you could theoretically translate the letter to say whatever you want. Usually OMSAS will only accept letters that come directly from the referee and do not pass through the hands of the applicant at all... I am not sure what their reaction to a 'non-English' letter would be.

Good luck!

I think few schools would accept something that isn't in English (or doesn't have a notarized translation). If the language happens to be French you may have some luck with a few schools... but it is still a real stretch in my opinion.

Also (as aneliz pointed-out), you aren't allowed to see the letter... so I imagine that if you are keen on this international referee you'd probably have to ask your referee to sit down with a translator and write the thing in English (or coordinate a notarized translation). Complicating this further is that the instructions are in English (& French -- I think) ... seems like a mess if your potential referee doesn't speak English very well because they'll need a translator just to understand what the instructions are to the referee (or you'd have to translate them for the referee).

Other things equal (the content is good, the English is good & the letter is well-written) I think a foriegn referee would be a bonus-- you stand-out 'cause you managed to organize the thing over international boundaries.

oh and what should i aim for as a secure average of all my courses to get into a canadian medical school?

Depends on the medical school and which province you have residency in. 3.6-3.7 (GPA) is good enough for a number of schools. Some schools require 3.8 or higher. If you read a while on this board you can get a pretty good idea of what is required for each of the schools.

Archived