Premed 101 Forums

Should I bother?

Guest KineticsChick

Guest KineticsChick

Hey all...

Ok so I know ppl often post their stats on the site to get some free advice...so I am thinking of doing the same, here goes:

I have graduated with a BSc.

My GPA's are as follows:

1st year - 2.15

2nd year - 3.36

3rd year - 3.44

4th year - 3.47

I worked almost full time for most of those years and did much volunteer activity. Should I bother applying anywhere? I am willing to write the MCATs but will my Cumulative gpa make the cut off anywhere? Thinking Masters is the way to go?

Help!

-KinesticsChick

Guest drews97

Hey KineticsChick!

Nice work pulling your GPA up so much after first year, I know first year was the toughest for me as well. However, with those marks it might be very tough, though not impossible, to be considered by the admissions comittee at any of the universities in Canada. Have you considered maybe starting another undergraduate degree? A Master's degree isn't necessarily given any consideration at some medical schools so doing a graduate degree may not improve your chances at some schools. You should probably contact the school's that you're interested in applying to and find out which ones will give a grad degree consideration. If you start another degree it may only take you 1 or 2 years to pull your overall GPA up considerably and certain schools only look at your last 2 years!

Good luck!

Guest Jerika81

I agree with what drews97 said, before your question can really be answered, you need to know what schools you want to apply to.

If you want to go to U of C or Ottawa (I think), and I'm not sure where else, then a Master's degree would be taken in to consideration, although they still might look at your undergrad GPA too.

But a lot of places won't really give you much credit for doing a Master's and your undergrad GPA will still be the most important thing. For these school (eg. Western, Queen's) your best bet would be to at least start another undergrad degree in an area that you think would be really interesting and that you could attain a higher GPA in, because sadly your current GPA probably won't cut it (not that I personally think anything is wrong with it, but I think it falls below the cut-offs for most schools).

The one good thing about your GPA is that you have improved every year, which looks a lot better than deproving.

I definitly think that if you know medicine is for you, you should go for it, just realize that it will probably take a few more years of hard work.

Good luck.:)

PS- don't do a Master's unless you know you'd really enjoy it, otherwise you will probably spend the next couple years feeling extremely frustrated.

Archived