Premed 101 Forums

Ubc Mpt Vs. Western Mpt

Hi all,

Any ideas regarding how these two MPT programs stack up against one another? I have been accepted to both, and I do not know which program does a better job in curriculum, licensing exam preparation and clinical placement experiences.  Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Secondly, what are your thoughts Western's MClSc program of Manipulative Therapy?

Thanks!

Western's PT program accreditation is under review. It'll most likely be approved, but it's something to consider.

Where do you hope to build connections and settle afterwards? Are you interested in long-term or acute care? Something that was important to me was the opportunity to do placements in several hospitals so that I could see a wide variety of client needs. On the other hand, you might have a chance to see different or more in-depth treatment at a PT clinic. UBC may have connections to more big name research hospitals, while Western can offer really great private clinics (along with some hospitals). Good luck with your decision, I hope it works out!

My 2 cents as a current Western MPT student... 

Western PT is fully accredited, only "partially compliant" because PEAC wants to make sure that the changes/improvements they made is on-going on long-term basis. The problem to begin with was not with curriculum or the program itself, rather just with administrative glitches and communication issues, which have been fully resolved. Don't let it "scare" you away from Western, this is something that most professional programs go through at least once (I know other PT/med schools that have undergone review process - and usually came out better), and this is actually a good news for future students, as the program is driven to improve. 

I personally believe making connections and the idea of "settling" shouldn't be the top priorities when choosing a school, because you can still make connections outside of school, your hometown, etc, etc, and it's too early to decide where you're going to spend the next 10 years of your career life. Rather, I left Toronto, the only city I've lived in Canada, to come to Western because of its emphasis on orthopaedics and manual therapy. Great courses, amazing teaching staffs who also happen to be expert clinicians and active researchers. We do have some great affiliated hospitals (Victoria, University Hospital, Parkwood Rehab, St. Joeseph) right within London and so many other actue/rehab hospitals outside of London but within Southwestern Ontario, so if acute/rehab is your thing, you'll still get more than enough options and education. 

Hope you make a choice that serves you well. Good luck!

Western's PT program accreditation is under review. It'll most likely be approved, but it's something to consider.

Where do you hope to build connections and settle afterwards? Are you interested in long-term or acute care? Something that was important to me was the opportunity to do placements in several hospitals so that I could see a wide variety of client needs. On the other hand, you might have a chance to see different or more in-depth treatment at a PT clinic. UBC may have connections to more big name research hospitals, while Western can offer really great private clinics (along with some hospitals). Good luck with your decision, I hope it works out!

Thanks for the replies! I'm torn between UBC (home) and Western (Manual Therapy and Orthopaedics). In the future I want to be FCAMPT, but not sure how well Western's MClSc stakes up. It does require 2 years of full time work, and I wouldn't think UBC or Western MPT gives an advantage...thoughts?

Thanks for the replies! I'm torn between UBC (home) and Western (Manual Therapy and Orthopaedics). In the future I want to be FCAMPT, but not sure how well Western's MClSc stakes up. It does require 2 years of full time work, and I wouldn't think UBC or Western MPT gives an advantage...thoughts?

Western MCISc is the only CAMPT-accredited school in Canada, so there's probably no question about how well it stakes up... and while I don't believe they bias Western grads on admission, I've heard that Western MPT is known to prep you well for Manual Therapy Level 1, which is a challenge exam (and i think Level 2 is required for admission to MCISs). 

MCISc is post pt stuff. you need 2 years of clinical experience and you need to have your level 2 from CPA/orthopedic division - so thats way ahead in the future. Look up the requirements - you need to be mentored by FCAMPT clinician as a prereq too. 

Archived