Premed 101 Forums

"really" old

Guest notold

Hello all, I've been reading through various threads with great interest.A wonderful supportive group here.

At 52 I've decided to go back to school and into medicine.

saw a post from a couple of years ago..any more recent news on older students?

My family is a medical one -3 generations.

I'm through all of life's hurdels, babies, divorce, menopause, death of parents and now free to pursue this.

I'm excited about it and this positive group seems like a good place to be as i won't listen to any negative thoughts but also recognize "reality".

My mantra "where there is a will..there is a way"

I'm especially excited about NORMED or NOMS as living and working up North suits me fine.

I have a health Science diploma and am just in the process of transferring university credits to get some qualifying courses.

cheers

Guest Titanium2003

Great to have you here with us!!!!!

Medicine is a great profession and a dream worth pursuing at any stage in life. I, too, am an 'older' hopeful, planning entry in 2005 at age 32. Your life experiences would be a definite bonus to an entering class.

There was a gentleman who just finished at MAC at 53, and a few men and women in the United States who entered med school in their midforties to midfifties. Peak into the website http://www.oldpremeds.net and you'll find inspiring examples of people who are chasing lifelong dreams with loads of energy to match.

Be ready to explain your choice to begin this long, sometimes ardous road when there are many young, fresh-faced things competing for every spot. Don't be shy to showcase your achievements and talents, and to detail the hardships you've conquered.

More importantly, show through impressive recent coursework and the MCAT that you have the mental stamina to match your resolution.

I would be honoured to enter med school at the same time as you do.

Best of luck.

Hi Thanks for your encouraging words.:D

are you also interested in NOMS?

I just heard in general they are looking for 3 year but prefer 4 year undergrad but they have not yet developed their mature student policy, but will let me know when they do.

well I'm going to explore some other options as well.

I see UBC is also now accepting applicants for their island and northern locations.

I will check out the site.

thanks

jo

Guest macdaddyeh

Hey notold:

I admire your tenacity and determination and think it is a great idea for you to apply but a formidable task. We continue to live in a classist, racist and ageist society that, like it or not, could discriminate against you because of your age.

That said however (and I am sure you are well aware of such discrimination) I would love to have someone with your kind of background and life experience in my class.

Moreover, depending on the wording of your admissions essay (I imagine you will likely apply to MAC) it is very easy to make your age an extraneous, unmentioned variable.

As for NOMS, I have *always* been interested in that option and I too am watching with great interest despite the admissions process still being a year away.

Best wishes and take care,

Macdaddyeh

Hi Macdaddyeh,

Yes I'm sure there thinking is.."how many years will we get out of you?", given that you can demonstrate you are cabable of completing the course.

I think I would actually put my age forward as a positive aspect rather then as an incidental.:smokin

Especially in my case (and similarly minded persons) with the underserviced areas shortage ..being willing to commit

for more than 3-4 years might be seen as a big plus.

The ambitions of an older more mature practitioner being more altruistically driven, truly one of "service".

That's the model I would promote.

i.e. I am willing to live and practice in a remote northern area for the remainder of my life.

personally i see that as a huge plus for the "system".

notold

Guest shoopshoop

hello there,

my dad is a vet, mainly working with farm animals and i spend large times of my summer with him and i see how it's like in terms of age factor playing a role in practising medicine( whether on animals or people!). at the age of 56 he unfortunatley seems to get tired fast( i guess it's because of his asthma). what i mean by tired is that it seems to me that he can only bear work for another say 5-8 yrs, God knows only how long, but what im trying to convey is that after the long yrs for medicine you need to know how your health will help you in practising medicine. doctors have LONG working days so think about it.

i would never want to be the reason for you abandoning your dream but i( although much younger with less experience) just want to show some "realities" that i see in front of me.

if your health allows it and i hope it does :) for the long term than go fo it! it's folks like u that know what pursuing a dream is. i know im emphasising so much on health but it's only because i see my parents in front of my eyes, i just want to give my side of the story of what 5 or 10 years can have a major difference on your ability to work or not.

anyways this is only my opinion and i hope you great luck in whatever you pursue.

:D

thanks for your thoughts..but I'm not worried about that aspect after getting through college with a 2year old..starting a practice with a a second infant (I was 37 when pregnant)while divorcing at the same time then shortly after becoming primary caregiver for mother with ovarian cancer, father diabetic and handicapped, suffers stroke, bedridden, aphasic, mother in remission then develops myelodysplastic syndrome, kids are "identified" as "special" learners and life goes on:smokin

My father was an OB/GYN and even though he was a little slower physically he did not retire until his early 70's tho i think he quit delivering when he was around 65.

My best friend is married to a large animal vet and he is also tired:p

I think it's a much more demanding practice than small animal.

Archived