Premed 101 Forums

Where To Live Near Hsc?

Hello, I'm in the class 2019, only been in Winnipeg for a night before interview day. I'm on the HSC med student apartment waiting list since middle of June, don't think I can get in before school start, so I need to find a place near HSC within walking distance (500 meters). I'm a Female, no party, no social, no club, just go to school and stay at home studying, reading and gaming. Hope to get some answers from whom knows the HSC area.

Q1: Are apartments right on bus route (Notre Dame, Cumberland, Maryland, Sherbrook, William) safer than apartments on the quiet streets?

Q2: Are apartments in a house (2plex, 3plex) safer than apartments in a condo building?

Q3: Which side of HSC is safer and better to live? East, West, North or South?

Thanks.

I'd suggest you to post this question on the fb group for the class of 2019. Just look up Manitoba Medicine Class of 2019 on fb and ask to join if you haven't done so already.

I'm still on other school's waitlist, there's a small chance I don't go to Winnipeg, so I didn't join Manitoba fb group yet, but I really need to know the HSC area now to prepare to move to Winnipeg in August. We all know Winnipeg is the #1 crime rate city in Canada and HSC area is not a good area in Winnipeg. Really hope someone can answer my questions here. Thanks.

Please know that the vast majority of violent crime in Winnipeg is gang violence. I went to school downtown for 5 years, I've lived downtown for a year and thus far I have not had any problems. 

The entire area around HSC is not the best, especially if you are used to suburban living.  As for the surrounding area I would go North West or South West closer to McPhillips as that tends to be a little more family oriented over there. The West end is going through some gentrification at the moment so there should be some nice suites. 

I don't know if this is an option but Osborne/Corydon/ Wolseley are all very close via bus. It shouldn't take more than a half hour to get to HSC. If you are really concerned about safety that may be a nice option. 

Please know that the vast majority of violent crime in Winnipeg is gang violence. I went to school downtown for 5 years, I've lived downtown for a year and thus far I have not had any problems. 

The entire area around HSC is not the best, especially if you are used to suburban living.  As for the surrounding area I would go North West or South West closer to McPhillips as that tends to be a little more family oriented over there. The West end is going through some gentrification at the moment so there should be some nice suites. 

I don't know if this is an option but Osborne/Corydon/ Wolseley are all very close via bus. It shouldn't take more than a half hour to get to HSC. If you are really concerned about safety that may be a nice option.

Thanks, great info.

Archived