Premed 101 Forums

Supplemental Essays

Hey guys,

I have a bit of a problem I was wondering if one of you could help me out with. I have a course in progress from the Winter 2015 semester because it was deferred. I don't have the grade for this course yet, so I can't add it to the Dalhousie transcript section for this year's GPA calculation. That leaves me in a situation where I can't send in the transcript assessment, which means that I can't access the supplemental essays (for those of you who didn't notice, the grades have to be entered and sent before you can access supplemental essays). Would someone be able to print-screen the essay questions and PM them to me? It's be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your assistance!!!

Ah, I didn't know they posted them online. Thanks for the link! Also, is it just the one essay + maritime connection piece? I thought there was more to it, no?

That's it! It makes up 5-10% of your final application score, and is pretty crucial for OOPs looking to get an interview though

Really? Just 5-10%? I thought the supplemental essay was graded out of 35. From the thread I have linked below, it says that the GPA/MCAT make up 25%, Interview 40%, and Essay 35%.

http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/76995-ave-score-of-accepted-applicants/

Also, their website seems to indicate it's worth roughly 30%. 

http://medicine.dal.ca/departments/core-units/admissions/application-process/application-scoring.html

Application Component Score GPA 15 points MCAT 10 points Supplemental and Essay 30 points Interview 40 points Discretionary 5 points Total 100 points

Oh sorry, thought you just meant the essays themselves. The supplemental section is also where you fill out your activities (separated into extracurriculars, employment, volunteer, medical experience, and awards/accomplishments). Each of those sections is worth 5% + essays = 30%

When they give you back your scores, they lump the discretionary points (5%) into the supplemental/essay portion to make it out of 35.

Ok, then if I undersatnd you correctly, essay is roughly 5% base, and then there's the discretionary points they can add, which is where you came up with the 5-10% figure.

Again, I don't have access to the second section, so you'll have to bear with me if you can. The extra stuff like ECs you mentioned. Is there a cap to those like Ottawa's top 3, or is it more whoever has the most/most impressive wins essentially?

I came up with the 5-10% figure because I always thought that each section was 5% and essay was 10% but that adds up to more than 30%. So it's either each section is 4% and essays are 10%, or each section is 5% and essays are 5%. Discretionary is definitely 5% though. Sorry for the confusion.

A sample EC section is also posted on their website

http://medicine.dal.ca/content/dam/dalhousie/pdf/faculty/medicine/departments/core-units/admissions/Supplemental%20Form%20-%20working%20doc%20-%20website.pdf

Although it doesn't show it, there is room for 15 activities in each section. No "Top 3" or anything like that.

I came up with the 5-10% figure because I always thought that each section was 5% and essay was 10% but that adds up to more than 30%. So it's either each section is 4% and essays are 10%, or each section is 5% and essays are 5%. Discretionary is definitely 5% though. Sorry for the confusion.

A sample EC section is also posted on their website

http://medicine.dal.ca/content/dam/dalhousie/pdf/faculty/medicine/departments/core-units/admissions/Supplemental%20Form%20-%20working%20doc%20-%20website.pdf

Although it doesn't show it, there is room for 15 activities in each section. No "Top 3" or anything like that.

10% = essay  + discretionaty

5x5% = 25% for other components

------------------------------------------------

35% total. 

Soudns right.

Thanks for the link. You applying this year?

Archived