Premed 101 Forums

talking about your research

Guest ikaj

Hi, either in the interview or in an application essay if we're explaining about our research activities, how in depthly should we talk about it? Should we keep it fairly simple or should we assume that the interviewer etc. is knowledgable in the area? thanks:D

Guest Lactic Folly

I wouldn't go super technical in the essay, as the focus is on what you gained from the experience wrt medicine. In the interview, I think you should take your cue from the interviewers.. hard to assume if they're knowledgeable or not. But if they seem to follow what you're saying and are interested, by all means elaborate further.

Guest aneliz

I wouldn't explain it in any more technical detail than you would explain it to your Mom...or neighbour...

If they ask technical questions, answer them...but a med school interview is not meant to be a research seminar. The interviewers may have little knowledge in the area...

As already pointed out, the important part is what you learned during the experience (teamwork, independence, dedication to task, ability to overcome an obstacle, independent learning skills, an interest in health research, etc) That is really what the ad comm would rather hear about....not the technical details of the whatever assay that you used to look at the whatever obscure gene....

Guest ethan

just to add,

you may want to keep in mind that some members of the interview panel may be community members with very limited exposure to your area of work. these people especially would want to see that you can effectively communicate ideas and information to others who don't share the same knowledge base (i.e. doctor-patient relationship)

The approach I took when talking about my Masters research was to explain everything as if I was speaking to someone who knows nothing about the field (genetics). My research was complicated and I think it's important to be able to explain what you have studied to anyone (educated of not) and I think it may reflect your ability to explain medical conditions etc to people who don't understand much about medicine/science/anatomy. An important part of being a doctor is being able to communicate with patients who come from all walks of life. These are just my thoughts, however. One other thing, while research may be important, it is still academic, and a lot of schools like to see well rounded people, so try not to focus only on your research.

Last summer I carried out a small research project on my own. This summer, though, my research job involves helping a grad student with her research project. (I am working in a different lab) I am learning alot of techniques as well as getting an insight into the kind of planning and dedication that goes into a big project.

Does it look bad though that I am not conducting my own experiment?

Guest UTMed07
Does it look bad though that I am not conducting my own experiment?

Research is a team sport. If you're good team player you're valuable. :)

You may come out ahead working as an assistant... especially if the project you're involved in is a smashing sucess.

Should we keep it fairly simple... ?

Simple as can be. You don't want to confuse a MD, PhD or MD/PhD... they'll assume ('cause they have a piece of paper that says they are smart) you just can't explain things well. :P

Guest Kirsteen

Hi UTMed07,

On team sports and research-y bits, I'd argue that those who do well in research treat it as a team sport, but woah, I've seen plenty who seem to be quite happy hiding in the nooks of laboratories being quite solitary creatures! :) More than many other realms, I've found that research is a realm in which there seem to be remarkably plenty of such hiding spots.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived