Premed 101 Forums

immunizations

Guest Cowboy Mouse

Guest Cowboy Mouse

anyone know what we have to do with respect to immunizations at Dal? I'm assuming we have to get titers at some point, but not sure. should i be arranging this with my family doctor?

CM

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey

You are going to need to get your doc to say when you had chicken pox. If you got the vaccine then you need to get a titre, if you had them and your doc doesn't have a record of it (and won't fudge the data like mine did) then you'll need a titre.

You will get a TB test and HepB on the monday of orientation week.

You need proof of your vacinations (DPTP/MMR/Tetanus).. If you don't have this, call public health, they probably have it on file. Your doc might also have this. You need a copy of this. I called public health and a nice little old lady faxed it to me, she was very nice..:)

I would suggest you check around and see if you can get TwinRx (hep A and B), b/c you have to pay for the hep B shot at dal and its $120 or something. Some jobs will get it for free for their employees. Check it out. You have to get three shots at specific intervals, so if your prone to forgetting you might as well wait until orientation week. They schedule the subsequent ones right into our schedule (yes, they baby us.. but its nice you know..:) )

Hope that helps

CC

Guest DonaldKaufman

CC,

Are the saving significant if you get the TwinRX shots somewhere other than orientation week? Mine won't be covered by a job or anything, so I won't benefit from that. I could get them from my family doctor, but she practices in Dartmouth, so getting the follow-up shots at Dal sounds pretty tempting, even if it does cost a little more. On the other hand, I'm heading to a semi-third world country this summer, so perhaps getting the vacinations now would be beneficial.....oh decisions....

-DK

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey DK

You MIGHT end up needing hepA and B if you're going abroad. HOwever, dal only gives you hepB.

You might want to check it out.

cc

• 2 weeks later...

I'm mostly a lurker here, but I'm attending Dal Med 1 next year too and have been debating over TwinRX vs Heb B (from Dal). I’m pretty much decided now on going with TwinRX because it comes as a prescription and it will be covered (80%) with our Dal Health Plan so it really ends up being cheaper than the Hep B shots from Dal. Anyone else consider this? Am I wrong? My family doc is also in Dartmouth so that’s kind of a pain, but can’t we use the Dal Clinic too?

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey DMMD,

Congrats on your acceptance. Not sure if twinRX is covered or not. Youou should be able to use the dal clinic either way.

CC

Hey everyone -

I called the DSU health plan office and they said that immunizations are covered so it looks like getting TwinRx through your doctor is significantly cheaper than getting HepB through the school. :)

Guest Cowboy Mouse

went to arrange titres and shots at my family doctor's today, and apprently, the polio shot isn't offered as standard, and we have to pay for it too.

anyhow, my family doc has to order it in and it takes time, so if anyone else doesn't want to scramble for it in sept., you should look into it now.

cm

Guest conrad78

Went to my doc yesterday about immunizations. She said they won't give you a polio vaccination after age 15 unless you plan to travel where its a problem. Just thought that might be of interest.

conrad :)

Guest conrad78

Just wanted to let eveyone know that if they want to get the TwinRx vaccination I priced it at two pharmacies. Its $155 at Walmart and $139 at Coscto. I think that's probably the cheapest you'll find it around here. They have two different types. A six-month cycle and a month cycle if you need it immediately. Each one requires 3 shots. I think I'm going to get this rather than the one the school offers because you get HepA as well.

Guest DonaldKaufman

My mommy said that Lawtons' TwinRx vaccination is $150 - she works there. That Costco price sounds pretty good, and while you're there you can get a vat of peanut butter the size of an oil drum. But only if you have a membership (i.e. pay them money to give yourself the privledge to buy their products and pay them more money).

Is it worthwhile to get Hep A as well? Is there is a realistic chance of contacting this disease? It seems to me that if there was, Dal would require us to get this vaccination too. Maybe I'm being to trusting though...

-DK

Guest buffer monkey

I've just come home from a walk-in clinic (in Ontario) where they gave me a price quote of $75 to look at my immunization records, sign the immunization sheet for Dal, and give me a polio vaccination. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Would you mind sharing how much you paid?

Thanks,

B. Monk

Guest CaesarCornelius

My GP did it for free.

Capitalism sux.

On another note, the welcome packages were sent on monday (I think).

CC

Guest DonaldKaufman

CC,

I don't think so....I am leaving Halifax tomorrow for the rest of the summer, so I was told to stop by and pick mine up at the office. When I showed up, it wasn't completely put together yet, and I think I spied a stack of big brown envelopes, so I'm pretty sure that none of them had been sent out as of 10am Wednesday. I think they are/were near completion though, so they should be in the mailboxes of the class of 2008 soon!

-DK

Guest CaesarCornelius

Ahh.. Maybe the email I got meant, NEXT monday..:) ANyways I know who my buddy is.. And they use this forum!

I know him from undergrad and its kind of weird that I he was paired with me.

I think I know a few people in the 2008 class from my undergrad, Im glad to see that they got in!

CC

Guest buffer monkey

Hi,

I don't know if anyone needs this information, but I thought I'd offer it up. I found out that the policy regarding polio vaccinations has changed recently, and it now it costs an adult $60 to get the shot. As mentioned in a previous post, a regular family doctor will likely not have the vaccine on hand, but if you go to an immigration doctor you may have more luck. You can also get a combined tetanus/diptheria/polio shot.

B.Monk

Guest buffer monkey

Whoops! I shouldn't have spoken so soon. I now have a totally different story on immunization and documentation -It changes with every phone call I make.

Sorry :o

Guest buffer monkey

Well...it's kind of a long story. I think there must be differences between what is covered Ontario and N.S. and that's why I'm getting different stories. Also, the cost to fill out the immunization form may vary from doctor to doctor.

I'm in Ottawa right now for the summer, so I went to a walk-in clinic and they told me it would cost $75 to get a polio shot and have my form filled out. Because I thought that seemed a little expensive, I decided to shop around, and that's when I got the story on the polio shot in N.S. ($60).

As it turns out, I won't be able to get back to N.S. in time to visit a doctor, so I decided to go back to the clinic that offered the $75 deal. Once I had waited there for an hour and a half, and finally got to see the doctor, he told me that he didn't have time to fill out forms, and that I'd have to go to my family doctor. When I replied that I had been told I could get the form filled out for a $75 fee, he said he didn't know what I was talking about. He still refused when I told him that I didn't have a family doctor in Ottawa. Additionally, he couldn't answer my questions about the vaccine and took me to a back room to read a wall chart to figure it out for myself. In the end I decided to leave.

After the ordeal at the walk-in clinic I talked to a Public Health Nurse who answered all of my questions about the vaccinations, and told me that I shouldn't have to pay for the polio shot (at least in Ontario). What a relief it was to talk to someone who had answers! She also told me that documentation should be a part of the process, but that there may be a fee to fill out forms for school.

I also found an Immunization Guide on the Canada Heath website, which has all sorts of good information. If you're curious about any the the vaccinations you might want to check it out.

At this point, I'm going to try another walk-in clinic.

(I told you it was a long story. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to rant cm) ;)

B.Monk.

Guest Cowboy Mouse

if you're in halifax, you can set up a polio shot with the public health travel clinic in burnside park. they need about a day's notice, but it's pretty cheap ($40, which includes clinic fee and vaccine cost)

they're at 481-5900.

Guest buffer monkey

Hi caperchic,

The immunization record form was mentioned in one of the e-mails from Dal, and it can be downloaded from DalMedix. If you log on to Medix and go to the Admissions and Student Affairs page, you should be able to find it in the public files section.

Buffer Monkey

P.S. - Just to follow up my last post, I went to another walk-in clinic and had no problem at all getting the polio shot.

Guest Cowboy Mouse

well, only one day after shelling out forty bucks for the polio shot, an email has been sent informing us not to bother with it at all. :rolleyes

those who are still waiting for it, save your money (like the IMG guy says).

Archived