Premed 101 Forums

Ot Student Willing To Help

Hi!

Just wondering how long your essays were, were they the complete 5000 words?

I didn't use  the entire 5000 characters - I used about 3500 on one and 4300 on another. I just wrote what I had to say, and didn't want to ramble or try to make it longer if it didn't fit the point I was making.

Hey, does anyone know whether profs in certain fields writing references are "better" than others? I asked a prof with whom I took two courses, but she is a music prof, so I'm not sure if relevance plays a factor in schools' preference..

This I don't know, but I would think that it's really best to use profs who know you well enough to write a good reference letter, as opposed to looking specifically for someone in a related field. This way the prof can really talk about your attributes, and your transferable skills, because it's not all about technical knowledge (really not at all about technical knowledge when applying - they want to know what type of person you are). OT students come from so many different disciplines - I have classmates who did their previous schooling in astrobiology, teaching, science, kinesiology, psych, nutrition, global studies, (and other totally unrelated things that were so diverse I can't even remember)!

I didn't use  the entire 5000 characters - I used about 3500 on one and 4300 on another. I just wrote what I had to say, and didn't want to ramble or try to make it longer if it didn't fit the point I was making.

This I don't know, but I would think that it's really best to use profs who know you well enough to write a good reference letter, as opposed to looking specifically for someone in a related field. This way the prof can really talk about your attributes, and your transferable skills, because it's not all about technical knowledge (really not at all about technical knowledge when applying - they want to know what type of person you are). OT students come from so many different disciplines - I have classmates who did their previous schooling in astrobiology, teaching, science, kinesiology, psych, nutrition, global studies, (and other totally unrelated things that were so diverse I can't even remember)!

Thanks for your input, OTMac17!

Archived