Premed 101 Forums

How Do You Convert 85% On Pat Section?

I've tried the practice PAT from iq publication actually mimicking the test environment and got an 85% on it. If I convert this into the actual PAT score, what would my score be approximately? I know people do better on practice tests but if I score similarly on the actual DAT, would this be acceptable score for u of t?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.ivyglobal.ca/more/dat_estimate_score.pdf

Note that IQ publications PAT has been stated to be easier than the real DAT, so the above estimate isn't necessarily accurate for IQ pubs. Not sure if its bell curved but it is a standardized test, so I'm sure they do something to try and have consistency between different testing dates (which might mean bell curving (up OR down) / eliminating certain questions)

Thanks everyone! OK so I've also tried the DAT bootcamp and I scored something similar (slightly lower). The biggest problem I'm having is with the keyhole section... I think it's extremely tricky and depending on the angle of the 3D structure shown, it doesn't even look like it's drawn to scale. Does anyone have any tips for the keyhole section?

mysteryoflife, I'm not that great at keyholes either, but the biggest thing that helped me is to group the answer choices by view (i.e. top-down, side-side, front-back) and then eliminate answer choices based on features that are off (i.e. too long, too short, portions of the figures facing the wrong way, slanted sides that are too steep, etc.). So basically I answer the question by eliminating the wrong ones as opposed to 'choosing the right one'. Then I double check that the correct one is actually correct (if I have time). This seems time-consuming, and it is in the beginning, but it gets much quicker and easier with more practice (and usually gets you the right answer!)  :)

I got 83% to be accurate. But I'm so nervous now because I could barely finish the test on time and I spent so much time on the keyhole questions (~1min/Q)... I feel like they're impossible...

The keyhole on the real deal will be easier, do not fret! Take bootcamp keyholes as practice material because if you learn how to do them you will coast through the real ones. 

Some helpful advice: 

1) Identify the 'easiest' face (front, top, end) to visualize, generate a rough idea of what it should look like in your head --

2) Look to the answer representing that face (front, top end) -- 

a ) If there is only one answer representing that face, look to see if there's anything inconsistent. If there is, POE (process of elimination) it by crossing it out.

b ) If there is more than answer representing that face -- your job became easier --> compare and contrast. The inconsistencies will be highlighted by seeing what they have in common and different.

3) Move on to the next face that's easiest to visualize, and repeat until your left with the best answer that makes sense. 

Ideally this process will take about 1-2 minutes per question, but you will get faster with practice. 

The keyhole on the real deal will be easier, do not fret! Take bootcamp keyholes as practice material because if you learn how to do them you will coast through the real ones. 

Some helpful advice: 

1) Identify the 'easiest' face (front, top, end) to visualize, generate a rough idea of what it should look like in your head --

2) Look to the answer representing that face (front, top end) -- 

a ) If there is only one answer representing that face, look to see if there's anything inconsistent. If there is, POE (process of elimination) it by crossing it out.

b ) If there is more than answer representing that face -- your job became easier --> compare and contrast. The inconsistencies will be highlighted by seeing what they have in common and different.

3) Move on to the next face that's easiest to visualize, and repeat until your left with the best answer that makes sense. 

Ideally this process will take about 1-2 minutes per question, but you will get faster with practice. 

Thanks everyone :) I am going to keep these in mind and do more practice. When we're writing the actual DAT, are we allowed to write on the test paper to eliminate wrong answers and stuff?

Thanks everyone :) I am going to keep these in mind and do more practice. When we're writing the actual DAT, are we allowed to write on the test paper to eliminate wrong answers and stuff?

Yup absolutely you can write whatever on the exam booklet with the questions. The only thing that counts is what you bubble in the scantron answer sheet. 

Archived