Premed 101 Forums

Do I Have A Chance For U Of T Dentistry?

Hello

I am an undergrad student with a cGPA of 3.96

My dat scores are 18AA 19PAT

I've submitted my application already but I'm really unsure as to whether I'd even get an interview due to my low DAT score (I haven't re-written it this year).

I'd really like to hear some honest opinions. Also if you got in with a similar stat, I'd also appreciate it if you could maybe pm me :)

Thank you

The consensus is that the DAT is only worth 10% of your application at U of T. Given your good GPA, I'd say you have a decent chance of getting an interview.

Recently there have been "rumors" that U of T no longer gives a GPA boost to grad students, which might explain the big increase in the average GPA of the class of 2019 vs. class of 2018 (3.90 vs. 3.86 for class of 2018). If this is true, 3.90 would be the "raw" average GPA of those who got accepted, so for this reason I think your 3.96 is pretty darn good.

That said, I'm not sure exactly how they look at the DAT (and I don't think anyone outside of admissions really does). The 10% figure gets thrown around a lot, but it's possible that they have a "passing" DAT score in mind...

You have a chance but your DAT AA is low which could come into play if there is a cut off.

I would suggest you rewrite the DAT.  With a GPA of 3.96 it is reasonable to expect that you could significantly improve on your AA.  Perhaps change your prep methods (search this forum for materials others have used)

We all have our hopes up, its hard not to when it comes to something this competitive.  Something that has helped me cope is to not worry about things I can't control.  With the DAT, you mentioned you didn't rewrite, so I can see a cutoff keeping you up at night.  But, you can't change that! Plus, I've never heard of there being one for UofT, so use that to force the idea out of your mind. 

Scrolling this forum can make all of us worry about how we measure up to others.  That is a downward spiral, leading you to only obsess on your weaknesses.  Don't let 1 weakness lead to more.  If you go into the interview feeling that you don't measure up, how are you going to summon the courage to talk to 3 strangers about your dental dreams?

We all have issues with our applications.  For instance, my reading comprehension score is a 19 and I'm scared that will effect my western application.  But at the end of the day, whatever.  We are not perfect, and despite the rising GPA's and DAT scores, I don't think they are looking for perfection.  Be proud of your high GPA, and don't obsess over your DAT score. 

I wouldn't worry too much about cut offs I have never heard of that being the case, I wouldn't count yourself out at all. My perceptual score was below average forsure, it's such a small part of the application. Try not to compare yourself, especially not on this forum (although I get that it is easier said than done).I think that contributed to a lot of my stress during the application process last year.

Hello

I am an undergrad student with a cGPA of 3.96

My dat scores are 18AA 19PAT

I've submitted my application already but I'm really unsure as to whether I'd even get an interview due to my low DAT score (I haven't re-written it this year).

I'd really like to hear some honest opinions. Also if you got in with a similar stat, I'd also appreciate it if you could maybe pm me :)

Thank you

if you don't mind me asking, where did u go for your undergrad and for what program?

Archived