Premed 101 Forums

Ireland/ Australian Dental Schools

Don't forget to count how many years you need to make the tuition back if you want to come back to practice in canada. Don't bother if your parents are rich.

kinda goes without saying.  these options are pretty much limited to those with families who are able to cover what the LOC doesn't cover.

At this moment, Aus dental schools are cheaper, given the fact that the canadian dollar is stronger than the australian dollar.  In comparison to the american dollar, it's much weaker.

but all this information is online.  don't forget to convert the currencies.

One thing you're forgetting is you can't practice in the US if you graduated from an Australian dental school. The US is usually a better option if you want to ever practice in the US in the future, Australia is also a good option but just be sure that you will only want to practice in Canada or Australia if you choose that option since practicing in the US won't be an option.

One thing you're forgetting is you can't practice in the US if you graduated from an Australian dental school. The US is usually a better option if you want to ever practice in the US in the future, Australia is also a good option but just be sure that you will only want to practice in Canada or Australia if you choose that option since practicing in the US won't be an option.

good point.  if you ever decide in the future that you want to work/settle in the US, you'll have to do a 2 year qualifying program in the states.

Thanks for all the information. I did not consider the whole practicing in US part. So I am Canadian and I am really interested in going to Australia or Ireland but I do not know if I want to practice in the US in the future. I think overall the US will be roughly $400K+ for debt whereas Australia would be cheaper however cost of living is high.

Are there any Canadians here currently in Australia/Ireland who can share their experiences?

Thanks once again.

good point.  if you ever decide in the future that you want to work/settle in the US, you'll have to do a 2 year qualifying program in the states.

The 2 year qualifying program ends up costing you ~80k-100k/year in the US. So you'll be putting an extra 160k-200k in debt on top of going to Australia for dental school. Just thought it was important to point this out.

The 2 year qualifying program ends up costing you the regular 80k-100k/year in the US. So you'll be putting an extra 160k-200k in debt.

Just thought it was important to point this out.

we don't know his/her financial situation.. so it may or may not be debt.   It may just be an "investment" if they're well off.

Hi , 

I'm from Canada and currently am studying at Trinity in Ireland. In regards to the above post about financing your education, you can still get a line of credit but because your out of the country you need co-signers for the loan ( I think your parents had to have like $100, 000 in savings to do this with most banks) most Canadian students here are with CIBC as they were giving $275,000 and with government loans that should be enough money to cover the 5 years.  Feel free to ask me any questions. If your going to apply to Ireland I'd apply soon though as I think the deadline to apply is mid-November. 

:) 

So if I study in Ireland or Australia, I cannot apply to specialty programs in the USA or Canada? And if I specialize in Ireland/Australia, then that will not be recognized in USA/Canada?

Still trying to figure it all out and see if its worth going abroad if I want to specialize in the end... 

Thanks.

So if I study in Ireland or Australia, I cannot apply to specialty programs in the USA or Canada? And if I specialize in Ireland/Australia, then that will not be recognized in USA/Canada?

Still trying to figure it all out and see if its worth going abroad if I want to specialize in the end... 

Thanks.

Yes , you can. We have someone come from brazil,colombia to be specialized in endo and perio.

• 2 weeks later...

To be perfectly frank, making the decision now that you want to specialize in the end is extremely difficult. You would be surprised at the amount of people who go into dental school thinking they're going to specialize compared to the folks who actually do. 

The debt load of foreign dental graduates is starting to boggle my mind. I think it's staggering anyone in their right mind would drop $400k on their undergraduate dental education, and then another $200-300k on a residency, all without ever making a dime. If even half of that is debt you're really shackling yourself for decades.

If you're going to be dropping that kind of change on your education, go where the money is, which would honestly be the States. In that vein, try to go to a school in America; it gives you more flexibility.

Archived