Premed 101 Forums

Md/phd Application - Urgent Question

I've been prepping my MD/PhD application for submission. 

However, I have a question come up the last few days - does my application to the MD/PhD program interfere with my MD application?

It has always been my understanding that by expressing interest in the MD/PhD program (and therefore applying), I am applying to both the MD and MD/PhD program. Is this wrong? I was just re-reading Chantal's email to finalize my application and this kept coming up in my mind.

Any clarification would be appreciated!

mmm...Not so sure about this...but let me tell you that if you're interested in the MD/PhD program, in means you have a strong interest in research...From what I understand, it seems you are just trying to increase your chances in getting into medical school...this might not seem very serious to adcoms.

But who am I to judge right! I absolutely don't know if it'll make a difference at all, but I sure know that an MD/PhD commitment is taken very seriously by admissions and you have to be very interested in research and have a pretty solid research background in order to get in. The PhD part is evaluated by a different committee than the MD part. This is simply to make sure people are not trying the MD/PhD program just to get into medschool because of the low number of applicant.

I might have understood your message wrong, but are you saying that you applied in both MD and MD/PhD programs, like 2 separate choices?

mmm...Not so sure about this...but let me tell you that if you're interested in the MD/PhD program, in means you have a strong interest in research...From what I understand, it seems you are just trying to increase your chances in getting into medical school...this might not seem very serious to adcoms.

But who am I to judge right! I absolutely don't know if it'll make a difference at all, but I sure know that an MD/PhD commitment is taken very seriously by admissions and you have to be very interested in research and have a pretty solid research background in order to get in. The PhD part is evaluated by a different committee than the MD part. This is simply to make sure people are not trying the MD/PhD program just to get into medschool because of the low number of applicant.

I might have understood your message wrong, but are you saying that you applied in both MD and MD/PhD programs, like 2 separate choices?

I think he only made one application (i.e. MD/PhD). What I think he's asking is if he gets rejected from MD/PhD will he still be considered for the MD program on its own.

I think he only made one application (i.e. MD/PhD). What I think he's asking is if he gets rejected from MD/PhD will he still be considered for the MD program on its own.

Oh thanks for the precision! 

I'm not sure for UOttawa, but at McGill, you have to first be accepted in the MD program, pass the interviews and than meet the PhD committee after MD part. So if you get rejected, it's probably because you didn't meet the requirements for the MD part...I think PhD is not the first priority, but still, I don't know for Uottawa

Hey guys - thanks for the info.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I'm very interested in the MD/PhD program as I have a strong research background - 3 pubs (one major first author), multiple conference presentations, so I want to continue into graduate education in some capacity down the line, which is why I'm choosing for that stream.

However, I would imagine these are very very competitive seats to fill - so in case I'm unsuccessful as an MD/PhD candidate (don't get ranked in their list/never receive an interview), I'm just wondering if that means my application is thrown out before being considered for the MD program also? 

Any further information will be much appreciated. Especially from someone doing MD/PhD, if possible. 

Archived